An Example of Neural Code: Neural Trees Implemented by LRAAMs
In this paper we discuss a general method which allows to implement a Neural Tree in a high-order recurrent network, the Executor, using an extension of the RAAM model, the Labeling RAAM model (LRAAM). Neural Trees and LRAAMs are briefly reviewed and the Executor defined. A Neural Tree is encoded by a LRAAM, and the decoding part of the LRAAM used to control the dynamics of the Executor. The main aspect of this kind of technique is that the weights of the LRAAM can be considered as a neural code implementing the Neural Tree on the Executor. An example of the method is presented for the 8 bits parity problem.
KeywordsCoder Network Tree Node Parity Problem Neural Code Linear Unit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- L. Breiman, J. Friedman, R. Olshen, and C. Stone. Classification and Regression Trees. Wadsworth International Group, 1984.Google Scholar
- T. Li, L. Fang, and A. Jennings. Structurally adaptive self-organizing neural trees. In International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pages 329-334, 1992.Google Scholar
- B. W. Mel. Connectionist Robot Motion Planning. Perspectives in Artificial Intelligence. Academic Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- M. P. Perrone. A soft-competitive splitting rule for adaptive tree-structured neural networks. In International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pages 689-693, 1992.Google Scholar
- M. P. Perrone and N. Intrator. Unsupervised splitting rules for neural tree classifiers. In International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pages 820-825, 1992.Google Scholar
- J. B. Pollack. The induction of dynamical recognizers. Machine Learning, 7: 227–252, 1991.Google Scholar
- D. E. Rumelhart and J. L. McClelland. Parallel Distributed Processing: Explorations in the Microstructure of Cognition. MIT Press, 1986.Google Scholar
- A. Sankar and R. Mammone. Neural Tree Networks, pages 281-302. Neural Networks: Theory and Applications. Academic Press, 1991.Google Scholar
- A. Sankar and R. Mammone. Optimal pruning of neural tree networks for improved generalization. In International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pages 219-224, 1991.Google Scholar
- A. Sankar and R. Mammone. Speaker independent vowel recognition using neural tree networks. In International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pages 809-814, 1991.Google Scholar
- A. Sperduti. Optimization and Functional Reduced Descriptors in Neural Networks. PhD thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of Pisa, 1993.Google Scholar