Adaptively Adjusting Marching Cubes Output to Fit A Trilinear Reconstruction Filter
The paper focuses on the improvement of the quality of isosurfaces fitted on volume datasets with respect to standard MC solutions. The new solution presented improves the precision in the reconstruction process using an approach based on mesh refinement and driven by the evaluation of the trilinear reconstruction filter. The iso-surface reconstruction process is adaptive, to ensure that the complexity of the fitted mesh will not become excessive. The proposed approach has been tested on many datasets; we discuss the precision of the obtained meshs and report data on fitted meshes complexity and processing times.
KeywordsSplitting Point Reconstruction Filter Volume Dataset Interpolation Filter Marching Cube
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. L. Bajaj, V. Pascucci, D. R. Schikore. Fast isocontouring for improved interactivity. In 1996 IEEE Volume Visualization Symp., pages 39–46.Google Scholar
- 3.P. Cignoni, C. Rocchini, R. Scopigno. Metro: measuring error on simplified surfaces. Technical Report B4-01-01-96, I.E.I. - C.N.R., Pisa, Italy, January 1996.Google Scholar
- 4.M. J. Dürst. Letters: Additional reference to “Marching Cubes. ACM Computer Graphics, 22 (4): 72–73, 1988.Google Scholar
- 5.T. Fruhauf. Ray casting opaque isosurfaces in nonregularly gridded CFD data. In P.Zanarini R. Scateni, J. J. van Wijk, editor, Visualization in Scientific Computing, pages 45–57. Springer, Wien, 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.Mark Hall and Joe Warren. Adaptive polygonalization of implicitly defined surfaces. IEEE CGA, 10 (11): 33–42, 1990.Google Scholar
- 7.B. Hamann, I. J. Trotts, G. E. Farin. On approximating contours of the piece- wise trilinear interpolant using triangular rational-quadratic Bézier patches. IEEE ToVCG, 3 (3): 215–227, 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.L. Hong, S. Muraki, A. Kaufman, D. Bartz, T. He. Virtual voyage: Interactive navigation in the human colon. In SIGGRAPH 97 Conference Proceedings, pages 27–34.Google Scholar
- 9.L. Kobbelt. Discrete fairing. In Proceedings of the Seventh IMA Conference on the Mathematics of Surfaces, pages 101–131, 1997.Google Scholar
- 14.T. Möller, R. Machiraju, K. Mueller, R. Yagel. A comparison of normal estimation schemes. In IEEE Visualization ‘97, 1997.Google Scholar
- 17.Peter J. Neugebauer, Konrad Klein. Adaptive triangulation of objects reconstructed from multiple range images. In IEEE Visualization ‘97 - Late-Breaking Hot Topics Session, October 1997.Google Scholar
- 19.A. Puig, D. Tost, I. Navazo. Interactive cerebral blood vessels exploration system. In IEEE Visualization ‘97, October 1997.Google Scholar
- 21.L. Velho. Simple and efficient polygonalization of implicit surfaces. Journal of Graphics Tools, 1 (2): 5–24, 1996.Google Scholar