Potential of neurotrophic factors in therapy of Parkinson’s disease
Neurotrophic factors of dopaminergic neurons may represent a potential neuroprotective therapy for PD. This article reviews published experiments that demonstrate the effects of neurotrophic factors on dopaminergic neurons in vitro and in vivo. At present this issue is predominantly investigated in basic neuroscientific research. Its possible future clinical relevance is discussed.
KeywordsNerve Growth Factor Neurotrophic Factor Dopaminergic Neuron Ciliary Neurotrophic Factor Trophic Action
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Frim DM, Uhler TA, Galpern WR, Beal MF, Breakefield XO, Isacson O (1994) Implanted fibroblasts genetically engineered to produce brain-derived neurotrophic factor prevent 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridiniurn toxicity to dopaminergic neurons in the rat. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 5104–5108PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jin BK, Schneider JS, Du YY, Iacovitti L (1991) MDF, a muscle factor, produces partial motor recovery in 6-hydroxydopamine lesioned rats by increasing tyrosine hydroxylase activity and catechol levels. Soc Neurosci Abstr 18: 1296Google Scholar
- Knüsel B, Michel PP, Schwaber JS, Hefti F (1990) Selective and nonselective stimulation of central and cholinergic and dopaminergic development in vitro by nerve growth factor, basic fibroblast growth factor, epidermal growth factor, insulin and the insulin-like growth factors I and II. J Neurosci 10: 558–570PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Knüsel B, Beck KD, Winslow JW, Rosenthal A, Burton LE, Widmer HR, Nikolics K, Hefti F (1992) Brain-derived neurotrophic factor administration protects basal forebrain cholinergic but not nigral dopaminergic neurons from degenerative changes after axotomy in the adult rat brain. J Neurosci 12: 4391–4402PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kordower JH, Fiandaca MS, Notter MFD, Hansen JT, Gash DM (1990) NGF-like trophic support from peripheral nerve for grafted rhesus adrenal chromaffin cells. J Neurosurg 73: 413–428Google Scholar
- Lindner MD, Winn SR, Baetge EE, Hammang JP, Gentile FT, Doherty E, McDermott PE, Frydel B, Ullman MD, Schallert T, Emerich DF (1995) Implantation of encapsulated catecholamine and GDNF-producing cells in rats with unilateral dopamine depletions and parkinsonian symptoms. Exp Neurol 132: 62–76PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Olson L, Backlund EO, Ebendal T, Freedman R, Hamberger B, Hansson P, Hoffer B, Lindblom U, Meyerson B, Stromberg I, Sydow O, Seiger A (1991) Intraputaminal infusion of nerve growth factor to support adrenal medullary autografts in Parkinson’s disease. Arch Neurol 48: 373–381PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Otto D, Unsicker K (1992) Effects of FGF-2 on dopaminergic neurons. Neurosci Facts 3: 82–83Google Scholar
- Wiegand SJ, Alexander C, Lindsay RM, Di Stefano PS (1991) Soc Neurosci Abstr 17: 1121Google Scholar