Serological and biological relationships among viruses in the bean common mosaic virus subgroup
Bean common mosaic virus (BCMV), blackeye cowpea mosaic virus (B1CMV), cowpea aphid-borne mosaic virus (CABMV), azuki bean mosaic virus (AzMV), and peanut stripe virus (PStV) are five species of the genus Potyvirus, family Potyviridae which are seed-transmitted in beans or cowpeas. Eighteen isolates of BCMV, five isolates of B1CMV, four isolates of CABMV, and one isolate each of AzMV, and PStV were compared serologically using a panel of 13 monoclonal antibodies (MAbs) raised against BCMV, B1CMV, CABMV, or PStV in indirect enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). Four MAbs detected all virus isolates; one detected all isolates except those of CABMV. Three MAbs were specific only for serotype A isolates of BCMV Four MAbs detected all serotype B isolates of BCMV plus all isolates of B1CMV, AzMV, and PStV. None of the antibodies distinguished among these four viruses. However, in biological tests with 11 bean cultivars selected for differentiating BCMV pathotypes, all isolates of B1CMV, AzMV, and PStV could be differentiated from the BCMV serotype B isolates by their reactions on a few bean cultivars in host group I and the cowpea cultivar California Blackeye #5. Potential problems that can arise from the use of nonauthenticated isolates are also discussed.
KeywordsMosaic Virus Soybean Mosaic Virus Bean Cultivar Host Group Bean Common Mosaic Virus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Drijfhout E (1978) Genetic interaction between Phaseolus vulgaris and bean common mosaic virus with implications for strain identification and breeding for resistance. Agriculture Research Reports, no 872. Pudoc, Wageningen.Google Scholar
- 8.Hollings M, Brunt AA (1981) Potyviruses. In: Kurstak E (ed) Handbook of plant virus infections. Comparative diagnosis. Elsevier/North Holland, Amsterdam, pp 731–807.Google Scholar
- 9.Kyle MM, Provvidenti R (1987) A severe isolate of bean common mosaic virus NY15. Ann Rep Bean Improv Coop 30: 87–88.Google Scholar
- 12.Richards BL, Burkholder WH (1943) A new mosaic of beans. Phytopathology 33: 1215–1216.Google Scholar
- 17.Wang W-Y (1983) Serology of bean common mosaic virus strains. MSc Thesis, Wash-ington State University, Pullman, Washington.Google Scholar
- 18.Wang W-Y (1985) Production and characterization of hybridoma cell lines and a broad spectrum monoclonal antibody against bean common mosaic virus. PhD Thesis. Washington State University, Pullman, Washington.Google Scholar