How important is genome division as a taxonomic criterion in plant virus classification?
The number of nucleic acid components that constitute a virus genome has been used as an important discriminatory character in defining groups of plant viruses. However, with some virus groups, in particular potyviruses, recent results of nucleotide sequencing have reinforced previously deduced tentative relationships among viruses with different numbers of genome parts. A convenient solution is to classify these different types into groups or genera within a family (e.g. Potyvirus and Bymovirus in the family Potyviridae ).
KeywordsPlant Virus Beet Necrotic Yellow Vein Virus Genome Part Taxonomic Criterion Scottish Crop Research Institute
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Fenner F (1976) Classification and nomenclature of viruses. Second report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. Intervirology 7: 1–115.Google Scholar
- 5.Fraenkel-Corat H, Wagner RR (1985 on) (eds) The plant viruses, vols 1–4. Plenum, New York.Google Scholar
- 6.Francki RIB, Fauquet CM, Knudson DL, Brown F (eds) (1991) Classification and nomenclature of viruses. Fifth report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. Springer, Wien New York(Arch Virol [Suppl] 2).Google Scholar
- 7.Fritsch C, Mayo MA (1989) Satellites of plant viruses. In: Mandahar CL (ed) Plant viruses, vol I, structure and replication. CRC Press, Boca Raton, pp 289–321.Google Scholar
- 8.Gibbs AJ (1987) Molecular evolution of viruses; ‘trees’, ‘clocks’ and ‘modules’. J Cell Sci [Suppl] 7: 319–337.Google Scholar
- 11.Harrison BD, Murant AF (1984) Involvement of virus—coded proteins in transmission of plant viruses by vectors. In: Mayo MA, Harrap KA (eds) Vectors in virus biology. Academic Press, London, pp 1–36.Google Scholar
- 12.Harrison BD, Robinson DJ (1986) Tobraviruses. In: Van Regenmortel MHV, Fraenkel-Conrat H (eds) The plant viruses, vol 2. Plenum, New York, pp 339–369.Google Scholar
- 19.Matthews REF (1979) Classification and nomenclature of viruses. Third report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. Intervirology 12: 133–296.Google Scholar
- 20.Matthews REF (1981) Classification and nomenclature of viruses. Fourth report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. Intervirology 17: 1–199.Google Scholar
- 21.Mayo MA (1987) A comparison of the translation strategies used by bipartite genome RNA plant viruses. In: Rowlands DJ, Mayo MA, Mahy BWJ (eds) The molecular biology of the positive strand RNA viruses. Academic Press, London, pp 177–205.Google Scholar