MINOTAURUS: A Distributed Multimedia Tourism Information System
- 178 Downloads
The rapidly expanding technology of mobile computers, wireless data networks, vehicle navigation, multimedia and database systems has caused the development of powerful mobile information systems. These systems, consisting of a portable computer (Laptop, PDA), have large storage capacities, capabilities of wireless connection to a worldwide information network and provide to their users many functionalities like access to WWW, shopping, banking, reservations and other transactions.
This paper presents such a mobile system named Minotaurus which combines the above technologies to achieve the development of a mobile, multimedia tourist information system.
KeywordsGlobal Position System Vehicle Navigation Tourist Information SIGMOD Record Wireless Modem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E. Brewer, T. Burd, F. Burghardt, A. Burstein, R. Doering, “Design of Wireless Portable Systems”, IEEE Transactions on Communications, 1995.Google Scholar
- Clarke, “Analytical and Computer Cartography”, 2nd edition, Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- S. Christodoulakis, F. Kazasis, N. Moumoutzis, A. Servetas, P. Petridis, “A Software Bench for the Production of Multimedia Tourism Applications”, Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism, Springer 1996.Google Scholar
- G. F. Coulouris, J. Dollimore, “Distributed Systems: Concepts and Design”, International Computer Science Series, 1988.Google Scholar
- C. J. Date, “An Introduction to Database Systems”, Volume 1, 5th edition, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1990.Google Scholar
- M. H. Dunham, A. Helal, “Mobile Computing and Databases: Anything New?”, SIGMOD Record, Vol. 24, No. 4, December 1995.Google Scholar
- A. Elmagarmid, J. Jing, T. Furukawa, “Wireless Client/Server Computing for Personal Information Services and Applications”, SIGMOD Record, Vol. 24, No. 4, December 1995.Google Scholar
- B. Hoffman-Wellenhof, H. Lichtenegger, J. Collins “GPS Theory and Practice”, Springel-Verlag Wien New York, 2nd edition, 1993.Google Scholar
- T. Imielinski, B. R. Badrinath, “Data Management for Mobile Computing”, SIGMOD Record, Vol. 24, No. 4, December 1995.Google Scholar
- F. G. Kazasis: “A Development Model for Multimedia Tourist Information Systems”, M. Eng. Thesis Technical University of Crete, 1995.Google Scholar
- A. Reinhardt, “Special Report: Mobile Computing, From Here To Mobility”, BYTE Magazine, June 1995.Google Scholar
- N. J. Muller, “Wireless Data Networking”, Artech House Publishers, 1995.Google Scholar
- Andrew S. Tanenbaum, “Computer Networks”, 2nd edition, Prentice Hall International, 1991.Google Scholar
- David Wells, “Guide to GPS Positioning”, Canadian GPS Associates, Fredericton, N.B, Canada, 1986.Google Scholar