A Qualitative Analysis of Hotel List Providers on the World Wide Web
This paper provides an analysis of initial investigations into Hotel List Providers (HLP) who distribute accommodation (and destination) information using the WWW as the enabling technology. A representative sample of internationally-focused sites as well as those which specialise in the United Kingdom as a region was investigated and a methodology is presented for the ongoing analysis of such Web-based sites. A current, generic profile of WWW users is established and this data is used to provide a platform on which to build profiling of Web based tourism consumers. Using empirically derived assessment criteria, this sample of Hotel List Providers was examined and the work placed in the context of larger scale studies by the authors into both international reservations systems and the role of intelligent agents concluding with suggestions for progressing the work in the area of site assessment.
KeywordsAssessment Framework Uniform Resource Locator Tourism Management Tourism Service Geographic Focus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Activemedia (1996), http://www.activemedia.conm/TrendsExec.html
- Anderson, C. (1995) The Accidental Superhighway’ Economist 1st July Pp 5.Google Scholar
- Cockerall, N. (1991), Outbound Markets/Market Segment Studies European Independent Travel’ EIU Travel & Tourism Analyst No. 4 pp. 38–48.Google Scholar
- Dorren, C., Frew, A.J (1996), Intelligent Agents and the UK Hotel Sector,. Journal of Hospitality Information Technology Vol 1, No 1, paper 4.Google Scholar
- Irvine, D (1995) The Internet and how to Swing it’ ,NetUser Spring Issue 1 Pp. 10.Google Scholar
- Marcussen,C (1996), Hotel representation Companies and the Internet’, Hospitality Information Technology Association, Conference Proceedings Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- Middleton, V (1988), Marketing in Travel & Tourism, Butterworth and Heinemann UK Pp. 186.Google Scholar
- O’ Reilly/Trish (1996), http://www.cyberatlas.com/www.ora.com/survey
- Times Mirror (1995),Internet Use in the United States: 1995 Baseline Estimates and Preliminary Market Segments.Google Scholar
- Tourism Management Travel Agents and the Information Highway’ Tourism Management Vol.12 No.2 Pg.154 1995.Google Scholar