Marketing information and decision support on the Internet — New opportunities for national, regional and city tourist offices
- 176 Downloads
Since reliable information is the key issue in marketing many tourist offices have used the enormous advances in computing to create systems that more or less extensively record tourism data. Nevertheless, some organizations have encountered difficulties in efficiently using this data for advertising purposes or to plan their marketing strategies in conjunction with various decision support techniques. For this reason alone, it has become essential to create a system that gives users efficient access to all opportunities that computer technology can offer.
In this article the author describes recent experiences made during the development and implementation of a tourism marketing-information system (TourMIS), which has proved to be useful in research and consultation for more than 10 years. Its nationwide acceptance turned the system from a Iocal to a distributed decision support system, which caused new problems in data maintenance and the model’s interface.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clyde, S., Landfried, T., OuR-TOWN: A Distributed, Multi-media System for Travel and Tourism, in: Schertler et al. (eds.): Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism, Springer, Wien-New York 1995.Google Scholar
- Crockett, F. (1992), Revitalizing executive information systems, Sloan Management Review, Summer, pp. 29–47.Google Scholar
- Mazanec, J., How to evaluate a travel market, econometric modeling vs. multiattribute decision making with management estimates, Aix-en-Provence: Les Cahiers du Tourisme (Centre des Hautes Etudes Touristiques) 1986.Google Scholar
- Meijs, C., Dijks, G., Information system architectures and benchmarks for local tourist offices, in: Schertler et al. (eds.): Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism, Springer, Wien-New York 1995.Google Scholar
- Oude Ophuis, P.A.M., Wierenga, B., Huizingh, E.K.R. and de Jong, C.M., Determinants of Success for Marketing Decision Support Systems, in: Bergadaà, M. (ed.): Proceedings of the 24th EMAC conference, Vol. II, Essec, Paris 1995.Google Scholar
- Wöber, K.W., Expertenschätzungen in touristischen Entscheidungsunterstützungssystemen, Service Fachverlag, Wien 1994.Google Scholar
- Wöber, K.W., Strategic Planning Tools Inside the Marketing-Information-System in Use by the Austrian National Tourist Office, in: Schertler et al. (eds.): Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism, Springer, Wien-New York 1994.Google Scholar
- Wöber, K.W., Entwicklung von Wettbewerbsstrategien mittels verschiedener Portfolioansätze im Verbund, in: Zins, A. (Ed.): Strategisches Management im Tourismus, Springer Wien-New York 1993.Google Scholar
- Wöber, K.W., Services and Functions of European City Tourist Offices, Report of the Research and Statistics Working Group of the Federation of European Cities’ Tourist Offices (FECTO), Administration Board Meeting, Dublin, March 22nd 1996.Google Scholar