TIS@WEB - Database Supported Tourist Information on the Web
The currently running tourism-WWW-server TIS@WEB makes touristic information about Austria available world-wide to the public under the WWW-address http://www.tis.co.at. The extraordinary feature about TIS@WEB is that you get latest tourist information because it is generated out of the touristic database TIS, which is updated frequently. Due to this approach the effort to actualise the data (a well known problem of WWW-Servers) is minimised. In the present paper we will give you a closer look on the architecture, the realisation, and the functionality of TIS@WEB. Our approach of “batchgeneration” and “on-the-fly” generation of Web-pages is described. Afterwards, requirements for the next generation of tourism WWW-servers are discussed.
KeywordsTourism Industry Multimedia Data Electronic Market Place Tourism Information Holiday Package
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. Berners-Lee, R. Cailliau, A. Luotonen, H. F. Nielsen, A. Secret. The World Wide Web. in: Communications of the ACM 8/1994, pp. 76–82Google Scholar
- J. December, N. Randall. The World Wide Web Unleashed. Sams Publishing, Indianapolis, 1995.Google Scholar
- Y. Lindsjörn, N. Regnesentral, P.F. Byerley. Broadband Network in the Electronic Market place in Tourism. in: Proceedings of ENTER 1996. Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism. ed: W. Schertler, B. Schmid, A M. Tjoa, H. Werthner. Innsbruck, AustriaGoogle Scholar
- R. Maier, W. Röckelein. Electronic Networks: New Challenges got Tourist Organizations? in: Proceedings of ENTER 1995. Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism. ed: W. Schertler, B. Schmid, A M. Tjoa, H. Werthner. Innsbruck, Austria. pp. 112–123Google Scholar
- T. Nguyen, V. Srinivasan. Accessing Relational Databases from the World Wide Web. in: Proceedings of the 1996 ACM SIOMOD - International Conference on Management of Data. Montreal, Quebec, Canada. June 1996. acm press. pp. 529–540Google Scholar
- P. Apers. Identifying Internet-related Database Research. in: Second International East-West Database Workshop. Extending Information Systems Technology. ed: J. Eder, L. Kalinichenko. Sep. 1994. Klagenfurt, Austria.Google Scholar
- .E. Quigley. Perl by Example. Prentice-Hall Inc., 1995Google Scholar
- A M. Tjoa, H. Werthner. Interfacing WWW with Distributed Database Applications in the Field of Tourism. in: Proceedings of ENTER 1996. Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism. ed: W. Schertler, B. Schmid, A M. Tjoa, H. Werthner. Innsbruck, AustriaGoogle Scholar