Psychiatric symptoms and behavioural disturbances in the dementias
This contribution will summarise the relationship between psychiatric symptoms and behavioural disturbances in dementia. The different types of symptoms will be discussed with particular relation to Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease and results will be presented in relation to clinical symptomatology in the Lewy body variant of Alzheimer’s disease.
KeywordsPsychiatric Symptom Lewy Body Locus Coeruleus Dorsal Raphe Nucleus Behavioural Disturbance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brun A, Englund E, Gustafsson L, et al. (1994) Clinical and neuropathological criteria for frontotemporal dementia. The Lund and Manchester Groups. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 57: 416–418.Google Scholar
- Cummings J, Victoroff J (1990) Non-cognitive neuropsychiatric syndromes in Alzheimer’s disease. J Neuropsychiatr Neuropsychol Behav Neurol 3: 140–158.Google Scholar
- Jacoby R, Levy R (1980) Computed tomography in the elderly 2. Senile dementia: diagnosis and functional impairment. Br J Psychiatry 136: 256–269.Google Scholar
- Mayeux R, Stern Y, Williams J, et al. (1986) Clinical and biochemical features of depression in Parkinson’s disease. Am J Psychiatry 143: 757–759.Google Scholar
- Munro RT (1951) Disease in old age. Cambridge and MassachusettsGoogle Scholar
- Oppenheim G (1994) The earliest signs of Alzheimer’s disease. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 7: 118–122. Google Scholar
- Petry S, Cummings J, Cummings L, Hill MA, Shapira J (1989) Personality alterations in dementia of the Alzheimer type: a three-year follow-up study. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 2, 3: 184–188.Google Scholar