Efficiently Rendering Large Volume Data Using Texture Mapping Hardware
Volume rendering with texture mapping hardware is a fast volume rendering method available on high-end workstations. However, limited texture memory often prevents the method from being used to render large volume data efficiently. In this paper, we propose a new approach to fast rendering of large volume data with texture mapping hardware. Based on a new volume-loading pipeline, the volume data is preprocessed in such a way that only the volume data that contains object voxels are loaded into texture memory and resampled for rendering. Moreover, if classification threshold is changed, our algorithm classifies and processes the raw volume data accordingly nearly in real time. Our tests show that about 40% to 60% rendering time is saved in our method for large volume data.
KeywordsVolume Data Graphic Hardware Texture Block Classification Threshold Texture Memory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akeley, K.,: RealityEnginé Graphics. In Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH’93. (1993) 109–116Google Scholar
- 2.Cabral, B., Cam, N., and Foran. J,: Accelerated Volume Rendering and Tomographic Reconstruction Using Texture Mapping Hardware. ACM Symposium on Volume Visualization. (1994) 91–98Google Scholar
- 3.Cohen, D. and Shefer, Z.,: Proximity Clouds-An Acceleration Technique for 3D Grid Traversal. Technical Report FC93–01, Ben Gurion University of the Negev. (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Gelder, A. V. and Kim, K.,: Direct Volume Rendering with Shading via 3D Textures. In Proceedings of ACM Symposium on Volume Visualization. (1996) 23–30Google Scholar
- 5.Lacroute, P. and Levoy, M.,: Fast Volume Rendering Using a Shear-Warp Factorization of the Viewing Transformation. In Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH’94. (1994) 451–458Google Scholar
- 8.NLM.,: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/visible/visible_human.html. (1997)
- 10.Sobierajski, L. M., and Avila, R. S.,: A Hardware Acceleration Method for Volumetric Ray Tracing. In Proceedings of IEEE Visualization’95. (1995) 27–34Google Scholar
- 11.Westermann, R. and Ertl, T.,: Efficiently Using Graphics Hardware in Volume Rendering Applications. In Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH’98. (1998) 169–178Google Scholar
- 12.Yagel, R.,: Towards Real Time Volume Rendering. Proceedings of Graphicon’96. Vol. 1, July, (1996) 230–241Google Scholar
- 14.Zuiderveld, K., Koning, A. H. J., and Viergever, M. A.,: Acceleration of Ray Casting Using 3D Distance Transforms. In Proceedings of Visualization in Biomedical Computing 1992. October, (1992) 324–335,.Google Scholar