SmartLink: An Agent for Supporting Dataflow Application Construction
Visual programmable dataflow systems are an effective way to build a large class of visualization applications from existing Software modules. However, the appeal of dataflow systems is often decreased as their users have to get familiar with libraries containing hundreds of different modules. Classical documentation systems such as hypertext or example suites are not always effective, as they lack the context of the user’s questions and problems. We present a new visual dataflow programming assistant that is simple to use, offers context-sensitive help derived from the user’s own behavior, and smoothly integrates in the effective pointand- click visual programming metaphor. We illustrate our approach with real-life usage examples.
KeywordsNetwork Construction Preference Graph Module Library Dataflow Graph Module Port
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Stroustrup, The C++ Programming Manual, Addison-Wesley, 1993.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Wernecke, The Inventor Mentor, Addison-Wesley, 1993Google Scholar
- 3.H. Sowizral, K. Rushforth, M. Deering, The Java3D API Specification, Addison-Wesley, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.C. Upson, T. Faulhaber, D. Kamins, D. Laidlaw, D. Schlegel, J. Vroom, R. Gurwitz, AND A. VAN Dam, The Application Visualization System: A Computational Environment for Scientific Visualization., IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, July 1989, 30-42. See also http://www.avs.com.Google Scholar
- 5.Kubica, Rasure The Khoros Application Development Environment, Experimental Environments for Computer Vision and Image Processing, H.I Christensen and J.L Crowley eds, World Scientific, 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.W. Schroeder, K. Martin, B. Lorensen,The Visualization Toolkit: An Object- Oriented Approach to 3D Graphics, Prentice Hall, 1995Google Scholar
- 7.A.C. Telea, J.J. vaN Wijk, viSSION: An Object Oriented Dataflow System for Simulation and Visualization, Proceedings of the IEEE VisSym’99 Visualization Symposium, Springer, 1999Google Scholar
- 8.C. Gunn, A. Ortmann, U. Pinkall, K. Polthier, U. Schwarz, Oorange: A Virtual Laboratory for Experimental Mathematics, Technical University Berlin. http://www-sfb288.math.tu-berlin.de/oorange/Google Scholar