Replay Detection in Sports Video Sequences
In many sports, the majority of highlights are confined to relatively short durations of intense action. In some sense these segments capture the essence of a game and summarize the moments of important action. Automatic detection of these highlights could provide an important browsing mechanism in a video library of sports games. In this paper, we present efficient algorithms, operating in the MPEG domain, for detecting two kinds of replay from sports video sequences. These replays often correspond to highlights in a game and can be used as indices of a sports video. The first algorithm detects exact replays while the second algorithm detects slow motion replays. Both algorithms operate directly on MPEG-1/MPEG-2 video data and thus they are very efficient because the expensive decoding operation is unnecessary. Experimental results on several video sequences show that the proposed algorithms are effective in detecting replays in most sports video sequences.
KeywordsVideo Sequence Sport Video Camera Angle Shot Boundary Soccer Game
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Y. Gong, T.S. Lim, H.C. Chua, H. Zhang, and M. Sakauchi, Automatic Parsing of TV Soccer Programs, Second Int. Conf. on Multimedia Computing and Systems (May 1995) 167–174Google Scholar
- 4.S. Intille and A. Bobick, Visual Tracking Using Closed-Worlds, MIT Media Laboratory Perceptual Computing Section Technical Report No. 294 (November 1994)Google Scholar
- 6.J. Meng, Y. Huan and S.F. Chang, Scene Change Detection in a MPEG Compressed Video Sequences, IS&T/SPIE Symposium Proc., Vol. 2419, San Jose, California (February 1995)Google Scholar
- 7.T. Taki, J. Hasegawa and T. Tukumura, Development of Motion Analysis System for Quantitative Evaluation of Teamwork in Soccer Games, ICIP, Vol III (1996) 815–818Google Scholar
- 8.D. Yow, B.L. Yeo, M. Yeung and B. Liu, Analysis and Presentation of Soccer Highlights from Digital Video, Proc. 2nd Asian Conf. on Computer Vision (1995) II499–II503Google Scholar