Effects of Breakup Thresholds in the Single-Particle Momentum Distributions of a Few-Body Continuum
We present an alternative approach for the study of a break-up process at threshold. Specifically, we demonstrate that the single differential cross section of one particle in a few-body system carries basic information about the breakup threshold of the remaining cluster. Thus, it represents an alternative approach for the study of few-body continua at very low energies. We exemplify these ideas by analyzing the particular case of a three-body system. In particular, we show that it is possible to extract electron-atom scattering parameters, such as the s-wave scattering length from ionization measurements.
KeywordsHelium Atom Breakup Threshold Laboratory Reference Frame Breakup Channel Metastable Helium Atom
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J. Gillespie: Final State Interactions, Holden-Day Inc., San Francisco (1964)Google Scholar
- 3.J.R. Taylor: Scattering Theory: The Quantum Theory on Nonrelativitic Collisions, John Wiley & Sons, New York (1972)Google Scholar
- 7.R.O. Barrachina, J. Fiol, V.D. Rodríguez and P. Macri: In: The Physics of Electronic and Atomic Collisions, Y. Itikawa et al. (eds.), p. 510, American Institute of Physics, New York (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.D.H. Lee, D.J. Pegg and D. Hanstorp: Investigation of Shape and Virtual Resonances in Fast Negative Ion-Atom Collisions, (Meeting of the Am. Phys. Soc., Division of Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics, Storrs, Connecticut, USA, 14–17 June 2000)Google Scholar
- 11.G. Haeffler, D. Hanstorp, I. Kiyan, A.E. Klinkmüller, U. Ljungblad and D. Pegg: unpublished (2002)Google Scholar