Beach deflation and backshore dune formation following erosion under storm surge conditions: an example from Northwest England
Field observations following a major storm surge on 26 February 1990 on the Sefton Coast in Northwest England showed that the rate of aeolian sand transport and backshore dune construction varied significantly alongshore in response to variations in beach morphology and sand wetness. These variations, in turn, were determined by longshore variations in the character of marine sediment transport processes and the distribution of subsurface silt and peat formations which outcrop locally on the foreshore. The grain size of the beach sands was found to be very uniform and was not a factor influencing spatial variations in sand transport rate. Since the beach sediments consisted of well-sorted and very well-sorted fine sands, partly reworked from the dunes during the storm surge, deflation was not grain-size selective during the period of post-surge dune recovery.
KeywordsStorm Surge Coastal Dune Storm Tide Sand Transport Rate Hourly Wind Speed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Pye, K., Smith, A. J.: Beach and dune erosion and accretion on the Sefton Coast, Northwest England. J. Coastal Res. Spec. Issue 3, 33–36 (1988).Google Scholar
- Pye, K.: Physical and human influences on coastal dune development between the Ribble and Mersey estuaries, Northwest England. In: Coastal dunes: form and process. (Nordstrom, K. F., Psuty, N. P., Carter, R. W. G., eds.) Chichester: Wiley, pp. 339–359 (1990).Google Scholar
- Parker, W. R.: Sediment mobility and erosion on a multibarred foreshore, (Southwest Lancashire, U. K.). In: Nearshore sediment dynamics and sedimentation. (Hails, J. R., Carr, A. P., eds.) London: Wiley, pp. 151–177 (1975).Google Scholar
- Gresswell, R. K.: Sandy shores in South Lancashire. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, (1953).Google Scholar
- Pye, K.: GRANNY-a package for processing grain size and shape data. Terra Nova 2, 588–590 (1990).Google Scholar
- Bigarella, J. J., Alessi, A. H., Becker, R. D., Duarte, G. M.: Textural characteristics of the coastal dune, sand ridge and beach sediments. Boletim Paran. Geocien. 27, 15–89 (1969).Google Scholar