In 1788 Joseph Doppler took possession of the single-storey building set into the city wall of Salzburg which had previously been the “Hut of the official Court Stonemason”. This had been sold off, together with other buildings and the Court Marble Quarries at the Untersberg, as an economy measure by the Prince Archbishop Schrattenbach and was previously in the hands of another stone craftsman, Jakob Mösl. He had wanted to add a further floor to the building, but was unsuccessful in his attempts (both in 1761 and again in 1767) to obtain permission due to the opposition of the house owners on either side. It appears that planning permission was a source of neighbourly animosity even in those days!
KeywordsFamily Business House Owner City Wall Loan Office Private High School
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.