Multigrid Becomes a Competitive Algorithm for some 3D Device Simulation Problems
For situations where Gummel’s decoupling scheme is applicable a multigrid algorithm for the continuity equations fully consistent with the usual ScharfetterGummel discretization can be used to solve the van Roosbroeck equations. The main problems for applying a multigrid algorithm are that discrete spaces are not nested in the usual sense for the refined grids because of the ScharfetterGummel discretization and that problem coefficients vary strongly. Transforming the equations to symmetric form and applying a block MILU decomposition based on the coarse-fine splitting of the discrete spaces with a perturbed Schur complement defines the prolongation and restriction operators. The transformation back to the original variables is possible. Coarse grid matrices are M-matrices.
KeywordsCoarse Grid Multigrid Method Domain Decomposition Method Competitive Algorithm Multigrid Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W. Dahmen and L. Elsner. Algebraic multigrid methods and the Schur complement. In W. Hackbusch, editor, Robust Multigrid-Methods, volume 23 of Notes on numerical fluid mechanics, pages 58–69. Vieweg, Braunschweig, 1989.Google Scholar
- J. Fuhrmann. On the convergence of algebraically defined multigrid methods. preprint no.3, Institut für Angewandte Analysis and Stochastik Berlin, 1992.Google Scholar
- J. Fuhrmann and K. Gärtner. A multigrid method for the solution of a convection - diffusion equation with rapidly varying coefficients. In .Google Scholar
- J. Fuhrmann and K. Gärtner. Incomplete factorizations and linear multigrid algorithms for the semiconductor device equations. In R. Beauwens and P. de Groen, editors, Proccedings of the IMACS international symposium on iterative methods in linear algebra, pages 493–503, Amsterdam, 1992. Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Yu. A. Kuznetsov. Multigrid domain decomposition methods. In T.F. Chan, R. Glowinski, J. Periaux, and O.B. Widlund, editors, Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Domain Decomposition Methods for Partial Differential Equations, Houston, Texas, March 20–22, 1989, pages 290–313, Philadelphia, 1990. SIAM.Google Scholar
- C. Popa. ILU decomposition for coarse grid correction step on algebraic multigrid. In Hackbusch and Trottenberg .Google Scholar
- J.W. Ruge and K. Stüben. Algebraic multigrid. In S. McCormick, editor, Multigrid methods, volume 4 of Frontiers in Applied Mathematics, chapter 4, pages 73–130. SIAM, Philadelphia, 1987.Google Scholar