Large-Signal RF and DC Performance of p-Type Diamond FETs
Large signal RF and DC simulation of diamond FETs using incomplete dopant ionization statistics is reported for the first time. The simulation was performed using a harmonic balance circuit simulator which uses the two-dimensional simulator, PISCES-IIB, to investigate the high temperature performance of FET devices. Simulations indicate the DC and RF performance of diamond MESFET is improved as temperature is increased in a temperature range of 573 K to 923 K. At 923 K the simulated diamond MESFET produces about 0.5 W/mm for an operating frequency of 3 GHz and 29% power-added efficiency (PAE) at 19 dBm input power. Due to the high activation energy of dopant in diamond the DC and RF performance of device is found out to be dominated by the carrier ionization process.
KeywordsDrain Current Harmonic Balance Incomplete Ionization Carrier Saturation Velocity Concentric Ring Structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. E. Field, — Properties of Diamond, Academic Press, London, 1979.Google Scholar
- M. A. Khatibzadeh, R. J. Trew, — A large-Signal, Analytic model for the GaAs MESFET, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, MTT-36, 231–238, 1988.Google Scholar
- PISCES-IIB, Stanford Electronics Lab., Stanford University, Stanford, CA.Google Scholar
- C. A. Hewett, C. R. Zeisse, R. Nguyen, and J. R. Zeider, — Fabrication of an Insulated Gate Diamond FET for High Temperature Application, First International High Temperature Electronics Conference, 168–173, 1991.Google Scholar
- M. W. Shin, G. L. Bilbro, and R. J. Trew, and D. L. Dreifus, A. J. Tessmer, — Variable Temperature Current-Voltage Characteristics of Polycrystalline Diamond FETs: Modeling and Experiment, submitted to Appl. Phys. Lett., 1993.Google Scholar