Prediction research of outcome in neuroleptic treatment — definitions and concepts
Prognosis is a core concept in medicine. It is a prerequisite for the clinical evaluation of spontaneous course and effective treatment. Since the introduction of effective treatment methods in psychiatry, interest in prediction of outcome as well as understanding the factors contributing to variability of response to therapy has preoccupied researchers and clinicians. One reason for the limitation of results thus far is the inconsistent conceptual and methodological foundation of research.
KeywordsSchizophrenic Patient Relapse Prevention Prodromal Symptom Illness Episode Neuroleptic Treatment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Awad A (1992) Quality of life of schizophrenic patients on medications and implications for new drug trials. Hosp Commun Psychiatry 43:262–265.Google Scholar
- Birnbaum K (1923) Der Aufbau der Psychose. Grundzüge der psychiatrischen Strukturanalyse. Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Clements K, Turpin G (1992) Vulnerability models and schizophrenia: the assessment and prediction of relapse. In: Birchwood M, Tarrier N (eds) Innovations in the psychological management of schizophrenia. Wiley, Chichester New York Brisbane Toronto Singapore, pp 21–47.Google Scholar
- Gaebel W, Renfordt E (eds) (1989) Objective methods for behavioral analysis in psychiatry and psychopharmacology — examples and concepts. Pharmacopsychiatry 22[Suppl]:1–50.Google Scholar
- Gaebel W (1993) The importance of non-biological factors in influencing the outcome of clinical trials. Br J Psychiatry 163[Suppl 22]:44–50.Google Scholar
- Gaebel W, Frick U, Köpeke W, Linden M, Müller P, Müller-Spahn F, Pietzcker A, Tegeler J (1993) Early neuroleptic intervention in schizophrenia: are prodromal symptoms valid predictors of relapse? Br J Psychiatry 163[Suppl 21]:8–12.Google Scholar
- Hyman SE, Nestler EJ (1993) The molecular foundations of psychiatry. American Psychiatric Press, Washington London.Google Scholar
- May PRA, Goldberg SC (1978) Prediction of schizophrenic patients’ response to pharmacotherapy. In: Lipton MA, Dimascio A, Killam KF (eds) Psychopharmacology: a generation of progress. Raven Press, New York, pp 1139–1153.Google Scholar
- Selbach H (1961) Über die vegetative Dynamik in der psychiatrischen Pharmakotherapie. Dtsch Med J 16:511–517.Google Scholar