Modelling Impact-Ionization in the Framework of the Spherical-Harmonics Expansion of the Boltzmann Transport Equation with Full-Band Structure Effects
Band-structure effects have been incorporated in the framework of the Spherical-Harmonics Expansion (SHE) of the Boltzmann Transport Equation (BTE) for electrons in silicon , using the density of states (DOS) and the group velocity (GV) obtained from the full-band system . In this paper an impactionization model is presented along with the numerical results. The model is consistent with the full-band system mentioned above and is able to fit the impact-ionization coefficient, the impact-ionization quantum yield, and the data from soft x-ray photoemission spettroscopy available in recent literature (e.g., ).
KeywordsImpact Ionization Boltzmann Transport Equation Monte Carlo Data Silicon Dioxide Film High Scatter Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. C. Vecchi, D. Ventura, A. Gnudi, G. Baccarani, “Incorporating full band-structure effects in the spherical harmonics expansion of the Boltzmann transport equation,” Proc. of the NUPAD V Conf., Honolulu, HI, 1994.Google Scholar
- E. Cartier, M. V. Fischetti, E. A. Eklund, F. R. McFeely, “Impact Ionization in Silicon,” Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 62, no. 25, 1993.Google Scholar
- A. Gnudi, D. Ventura, G. Baccarani, “Modeling Impact Ionization in a BJT by Means of Spherical Harmonics Expansion of the Boltzmann Transport Equation,” IEEE Trans. on CAD of ICAS, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1706–1713, 1993.Google Scholar
- G. J. L. Ouwerling, “Non-destructive Measurament of 2D doping profiles by inverse modelling,” Proc. of the 6th fnt. NASECODE Conf., p. 534, Dublin, 1989.Google Scholar
- E. Schöll, W. Quade, “Effect of Impact Ionization on Hot-Carrier Energy and Momentum Relaxation in Semiconductors,” Jour. Physics C, vol. 20, p. L 861, 1987.Google Scholar