N-Alkyloxycarbonyl derivatives of ethylene diamine as monoamine oxidase inhibitors
A series of urethane type derivatives of ethylene diamine (EDA) was synthesised and tested as inhibitors of monoamine oxidase (MAO) A and B. Nature of aromatic ring and a position of substituents in it were important for the inhibitory activity. Chlorobenzyloxycarbonyl-EDA derivatives exhibited selective inhibition of MAO-A with 3,4-Cl2-QH4CH2OCO-ED A being a most potent and selective MAO-A inhibitor (IC50 4μM). Within the compounds studied, 3,4- dichloro-benzyloxycarbonyl-EDA exhibited most potent inhibition of MAO-A. This compound inhibited the activity of rat liver MAOA non-competitively with Ki (slope) value of 3.6 μM, whereas the inhibition of rat liver MAO-B was competitive with Ki (slope) value of 56 μM (not shown). 2,4-Dichlorobenzyloxycarbonyl-EDA also inhibited rat liver MAO-A in a non-competitive manner with Ki of 14.6 μM.
KeywordsMonoamine Oxidase Biomedical Chemistry Diphenyl Carbonate Liver MAOA Trichloroacetyl Chloride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burrows CD, Da Prada M (eds) (1989) Reversible MAO A inhibitors as antidepressants. J Neural Transm 28 [Suppl]: 1–106Google Scholar
- Da Prada M, Kettler R, Keller HH, Burkland WP, Haefely WE (1989) Preclinical profiles of the novel reversible MAO-A inhibitors, moclobemide and brofaromine, in comparison with irreversible MAO inhibitors. J Neural Transm 28 [Suppl]: 5–20Google Scholar
- Gorkin VZ (1983) Amine oxidases in clinical research. Pergamon Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Pozdnev VF, Nuzhnova IA (1976) Preparation of carbonic acid derivatives for peptide synthesis from alkyloxycarboxyl salts. Zh Organ Khim (Russ) 12: 1407–1410Google Scholar
- Pozdnev VF, Smirnova EA, Podgornova NN, Zencova NK, Kalejs UO (1979) Synthesis of di-tert-butyl pyrocarbonate from carboxylic acid chloroanhydrides. Zh Organ Khim 15: 106–109Google Scholar
- Shih J (1993) cDNA cloning of human liver MAO-A and MAO-B. In: Yasuhara H, Parvez H, Oguchi K, Sandler M, Nagatsu T (eds) Monoamine oxidase: basic and clinical aspects. VSP, Utrecht, pp 15–22Google Scholar
- Tipton KF, Youdim MBH (1976) Assay of monoamine oxidase. In: Wolstenholm GEW, Knight J (eds) Monoamine oxidase and its inhibition. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 393–403Google Scholar