Increased striatal dopamine production from L-DOPA following selective inhibition of monoamine oxidase B by R(+)-N-propargyl-1-aminoindan (rasagiline) in the monkey
Striatal extracellular fluid concentrations of dopamine and metabolites in response to direct striatal administration of two L-DOPA boluses administered sequentially were determined in three rhesus monkeys during halothane anesthesia. Whereas in an initial microdialysis run, generation of dopamine was less following the second L-DOPA bolus than the first, in a subsequent run, in which the selective MAO-B inhibitor R(+)-Npropargyl-1-aminoindan (rasagiline) was administered systemically (0.2 mg/ kg s.c.) between the two L-DOPA boluses, generation of dopamine was greater following the second bolus.
KeywordsMonoamine Oxidase Microdialysis Probe Monoamine Oxidase Activity DOPAC Level Dopamine Efflux
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Colzi A, D’Agostini F, Kettler R, Borroni E, Da Prada M (1990) Effect of selective and reversible MAO inhibitors on dopamine outflow in rat striatum; a microdialysis study. J Neural Transm [Suppl] 32: 79–84Google Scholar
- Parkinson’s Study Group (1993) Effects of tocopherol and deprenyl on the progression of disability in early Parkinson’s disease. N Engl J Med 321: 1364–1371Google Scholar
- Richards JG, Saura J, Luque JM, Cesurs AM, Gottowik J, Malherbe P, Borroni E, Gray J (1997) Monoamine oxidases: from brainmaps to physiology and transgenics to pathophysiology (this volume)Google Scholar
- Riederer R, Reynolds JP, Youdim MBH (1981) Selectivity of MAO inhibitors in human brain and their clinical consequences. In: Youdim MBH, Paykel ES (eds) Monoamine oxidase inhibitors: the state of the art. Wiley, Chichester, pp 63–76Google Scholar
- Tipton KF, Houslay MD, Mantle TJ (1976) The nature and locations of the multiple forms of monoamine oxidase. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 5–16 (Ciba Foundation Symposium 39)Google Scholar