A Hybrid Genetic Algorithm for the 0–1 Multiple Knapsack Problem
A hybrid genetic algorithm based in local search is described. Local optimisation is not explicitly performed but it is embedded in the exploration of a search metaspace. This algorithm is applied to a NP-hard problem. When it is compared with other GA-based approaches and an exact technique (a branch and bound algorithm), this algorithm exhibits a better overall performance in both cases. Then, a coarse-grain parallel version is tested, yielding notably improved results.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Local Search Problem Instance Knapsack Problem Hybrid Genetic Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.E. Beasley. OR-library: Distributing test problems by electronic mail. Journal of Operational Research Society, 41(11):1069–1072, 1990.Google Scholar
- A. Chipperfield and P. Fleming. Parallel Genetic Algorithms, pages 1118–1143. McGraw-Hill Series on Computing Engineering, 1996.Google Scholar
- L. Davis, editor. Handbook of Genetic Algorithms. Van Nostrand Reinhold Computer Library, NY, 1991.Google Scholar
- E. Horowitz and S. Sahni. Fundamentals of Computer Algorithms. Computer Science Press, 1978.Google Scholar
- S. Khuri, T. Baeck, and J. Heitkotter. The zero/one multiple knapsack problem and genetic algorithms. In Proceedings of the ACM Symposium of Applied Computation. ACM Press, 1993.Google Scholar
- H. Muehlenbein. Parallel genetic algorithm, population dynamics and combinatorial optimization. In Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, pages 416–421, San Mateo, 1989. Morgan Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- C. Peterson and B. Södeberg. Artificial neural networks. In Modern heuristic techniques for combinatorial problems. C.R. Reeves editor, Advanced Topics in Computer Science, pages 197–242, 1993, Oxford Scientific Publications.Google Scholar
- N.J. Radcliffe. Forma analysis and random respectful recombination. In Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, pages 222–229, San Mateo CA, 1991. Morgan Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- I. Rechember. Evolutionsstrategie: Optimierung technischer Systeme nach Prinzipien der biologischen Evolution. Frommann-Holzboog Verlag, Stuttgart, 1973.Google Scholar
- W.L. Winston. Operations Research. Applications and algorithms. Duxbury Press, Belmont CA, 1993.Google Scholar
- D.H. Wolpert and W.G. Macready. No free lunch theorems for search. Technical Report SFI-TR-95-02-010, Sante Fe Institute, 1995.Google Scholar