Analyses of Simple Genetic Algorithms and Island Model Parallel Genetic Algorithms
H. Asoh and H. Mühlenbein investigated empirically the relation among the mean convergence time, the population size, and the chromosome length of genetic algorithms (GAs). In this paper, from the mathematical point of view, the relation they revealed is convincing. Our analyses of GAs make use of the Markov chain formalism based on the Wright-Fisher model, which is a typical and well-known model in population genetics. We also give the mean convergence time under genetic drift. Genetic drift can be described by the Wright-Fisher model. We determine the stationary states of the corresponding Markov chain model and the mean convergence time to reach one of these stationary states. Furthermore, we derive the most effective mutation rate for the standard GAs and also the most effective migration rate for the island model parallel GAs with some restrictions. These rates are coincide with known empirical results.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Mutation Rate Genetic Drift Migration Rate Convergence Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Asoh and H. Mühlenbein. On the mean convergence time of evolutionary algorithms without selection. In Parallel Problem Solving from Nature 3, 1994. to appear.Google Scholar
- A.E. Eiben, E.H.L. Aarts, and K.M. Van Hee. Global convergence of genetic algorithms: a markov chain analysis. In Parallel Problem Solving from Nature, pages 4–12, 1990.Google Scholar
- D.E. Goldberg and P. Segrest. Finite markov chain analysis of genetic algorithms. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, pages 1–8, 1987.Google Scholar
- J.H. Holland. Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems. Univ. of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, Mich., 1975.Google Scholar
- J. Horn. Finite markov chain analysis of genetic algorithms with niching. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, pages 110–117, 1993.Google Scholar
- B. Manderick and P. Spiessens. Fine-grained parallel genetic algorithms. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, pages 428–433, 1989.Google Scholar
- T. Niwa and M. Tanaka. On the mean convergence time for simple genetic algorithms. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Evolutionary Computing’ 95, 1995.Google Scholar
- J. Suzuki. A markov chain analysis on a genetic algorithm. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, pages 146–153, 1993.Google Scholar
- M. Tanaka and T. Niwa. Markov chain analysis on simple genetic algorithm. Technical Report ETL-TR-94-13, Electrotechnical Laboratory, 1994.Google Scholar
- R. Tanese. Distributed genetic algorithms. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, pages 434–439, 1989.Google Scholar