Learning SCFGs from Corpora by a Genetic Algorithm
A genetic algorithm for inferring stochastic context-free grammars from finite language samples is described. Solutions to the inference problem are found by optimizing the parameters of a covering grammar for a given language sample. We describe a number of experiments in learning grammars for a range of formal languages. The results of these experiments are encouraging and compare very favourably with other approaches to stochastic grammatical inference.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Terminal Symbol Grammatical Inference Syntactic Pattern Recognition Threshold Fitness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.K. Baker. Trainable grammars for speech recognition. In Proceedings of the Spring Conference of the Acoustical Society of America, pages 547–550, 1979.Google Scholar
- D. Dunay, F. Petry, and B. Buckles. Regular language induction with genetic programming. In Proceedings of the First International Conference on Evolutionary Computing, pages 396–400, 1994.Google Scholar
- J.H. Holland. Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems. University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, 1975.Google Scholar
- W.-O. Huijsen. Genetic grammatical inference: Induction of pushdown automata and context-free grammars from examples using genetic algorithms. Master’s thesis, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands, 1993.Google Scholar
- M.M. Lankhorst. Grammatical inference with a genetic algorithm. In Proceedings of the 1994 EUROSIM Conference on Massively Parallel Processing Applications and Development, pages 423–430, 1994.Google Scholar
- S. Lucas. Biased chromosoms for grammatical inference. In Proceedings of Natural Algorithms in Signal Processing, 1993.Google Scholar
- M. Schwem and A. Ost. Inference of stochastic regular grammars by massively parallel genetic algorithms. In Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, pages 520–527, CA, 1995. Morgan-Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- S. Sen and J. Janakiraman. Learning to construct pushdown automata for accepting deterministic context-free languages, pages 207–213. 1992.Google Scholar
- P. Wyard. Context-free grammar induction using genetic algorithms. In Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, ICGA’ 92, pages 514–518, CA, 1991. Morgan Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- H. Zhou and J.J. Grefenstette. Induction of finite automata by genetic algorithms. In Proceedings of the 1986 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, pages 170–174, 1986.Google Scholar