MultiPort RAM: a PC-Based Implementation of the Fieldbus Concept
The rapid introduction of industrial personal computers into the manufacturing automation throughout the last years gave an increasing importance to the PC-based distributed automation systems. One such system is MultiPort RAM, a software package which implements the conventional fieldbus concepts while running on a standard personal computer architecture. The paper reviews a general structure of this system, it’s functionality, operation principles, and application development aspects. The networking implementation is investigated in detail. Finally, a methodology for the MultiPort RAM integration with other field and wide area networks is discussed.
KeywordsShared Memory Programmable Logic Controller Wide Area Network Network Variable Programmable Logic Controller
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.MpRAM Konfigurator Handbuch. BECK IPC GmbH, 1998.Google Scholar
- 2.MpRAM Gateway, the system manual. BECK IPC GmbH, 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.Aufbau und Anwendung des MpRAM Programmerinterface. BECK IPC GmbH, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.International Standards Organization (ISO): Basic Reference Model for Open Systems Interconnection, ISO 7498,1983.Google Scholar
- 5.Protic, J., Tomaevic, M., Milutinovic, V.: Distributed Shared Memory. Concepts and Systems. Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE Computer Society, 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.Solomon, M., Kramer, J.: Distributed systems and computer networks. Prentice-Hall Inc., 1987.Google Scholar
- 7.Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. (IEEE): Carrier sense multiple access with collision detection (CSMA/CD) access method and physical layer specifications, IEEE 802.3, 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC): Programmable Controllers Programming Languages, IEC 1131-3,1993.Google Scholar