Analysis of the Worst-Case Real Token Rotation Time in PROFIBUS Networks
This paper provides a comprehensive study on how to support time critical distributed applications using PROFIBUS. We show that, despite the absence of synchronous bandwidth allocation, it is possible to guarantee real-time behaviour for the high-priority traffic in PROFIBUS networks. The main contribution of this paper is to give a methodology for the setting of the T TR parameter, by proper analysis of the worst-case real token rotation time (T RR ).
KeywordsController Area Network Master Station Token Lateness Priority Message Schedulability Condition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cardoso, A., Tovar, E.: “Industrial Communication Networks: Issues on Heterogeneity and Internetworking”, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Flexible Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing, FAIM′96, May 1996, Atlanta, USA, pp. 139–148.Google Scholar
- 2.ISO 11898, “Road Vehicle — Interchange of Digital Information — Controller Area Network (CAN) for High-Speed Communication”, 1st Edition, ISO, 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.EN 50170, “General Purpose Field Communication System”, European Standard, CENELEC, 1996, Vol. 2/3.Google Scholar
- 4.Zuberi, K., Shin, K.G.: “Real-Time Decentralised Control with CAN”, Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation, November 1996, pp. 93–99.Google Scholar
- 5.DIN 19245, “PROFIBUS-DP — Process Field Bus Decentralised Periphery (DP) — Part 3”, Draft Standard DIN 19245, issue 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.Cena, G., Demartini, C., Valenzano, A.: “On the Performances of two Popular Fieldbuses”, Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Workshop on Factory Communication Systems, WFCS′97, October 1997, Barcelona, Spain, pp. 177–186.Google Scholar
- 7.Tovar, E., Vasques, F.: “Guaranteeing Real-Time Message Deadlines in Profibus Networks”, Proceedings of the 10th Euromicro Workshop on Real-time Systems, Berlin, Germany, IEEE Press, 1998, pp. 79–86.Google Scholar
- 8.Tovar E., Vasques, F.: “Setting Target Rotation Time in Profibus Based Real-Time Applications”, Proceedings of the 15th IFAC Workshop on Distributed Computer Control Systems (DDCS′98), Como, Italy, 1998, pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- 9.Grow, R.: “A Timed Token Protocol for Local Area Networks”, Proceedings of Electro′82, May 1982, Token Access Protocols, Paper 17/3.Google Scholar
- 10.Montuschi, P., Ciminiera, L., Valenzano, A.: “Time Characteristics of IEEE802.4 Token Bus Protocol”, IEE Proceedings, January 1992,139(1), pp. 81–87.Google Scholar
- 11.Malcolm, N., Zhao, W.: “Guaranteeing Synchronous Messages with Arbitrary Deadline Constraints in a FDDI Network”, Technical Report, Department of Computer Science, Texas A&M University, March 1993.Google Scholar
- 12.Tovar E., Vasques, F.: “Cycle Time Properties of the PROFIBUS Timed Token Protocol”, September 1998, to appear in Computer Communications, Elsevier Science.Google Scholar