Modelling and Evaluation of Systems for the Interconnection of Industrial Communications Networks
The aim of this paper is to tackle issues regarding interconnection of Industrial Communications Networks. For this purpose, two interconnection strategies are presented and applied to a widely used fieldbus standard: Profibus. The adaptation of Profibus to the so called Extended Fieldbus is investigated and an extended address scheme for Profibus is proposed. A brief description of the developed models, focusing in the interworking unit, is given together with the verification and evaluation methodology followed. Finally, some performance results are presented which are used to compare the two interconnection strategies.
KeywordsInput Place Master Station Output Queue Interconnection Strategy Peak Cell Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ruiz (L), Decotignie (J.D), “Fieldbus: a Network for Process Level Communication”, Ind. Electronics Society Newsletter, Sept (1994)Google Scholar
- 2.Plainevaux (P.), Decotignie (J.D.), “Time Critical Communication Networks: Field Buses”, IEEE Network, vol. 2 May (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Pimentel (J.R.), “Communication Networks for Manufacturing”, Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Prentice Hall, 1990, pp. 418–446Google Scholar
- 4.Decotignie (J.D.), Pleinevaux (P.) “A survey on industrial communications networks”, Annals of Telecommunications, N°; 9–10 (1993), pp 435-448Google Scholar
- 5.Sempere (V.), Mataix (J.), Utrilla (E.), “Simulating a Wide Fieldbus Interconnected through ATM for its Real-time Performance Evaluation”, European Conference on Networks & Optical Communications. ISBN-90-51994001 (IOS Press) June 23–25, Manchester (UK).Google Scholar
- 6.Mammeri (Z.), Haouam (K.D.), “Connection Allocation Schemes for Guaranteeing Hard Real-time Communications with ATM Networks”, Proc. IEEE International Workshop on Factory Communication Systems, Barcelona, Oct. 1–3 (1997).Google Scholar
- 7.Mammeri (Z.), “Framework for Mapping Real-time Communications onto ATM Services”. Int. Conf. for Computer Communications, Cannes France, Nov. 19–21 (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Sanders (W.H.), Obal (W.D.), Qureshi (M.A.), Widjanarko (F.K.), “The UltraSAN modeling environment Performance Evaluation”, N.H. Elsevier (1995)Google Scholar