Levels of soluble adhesion molecules in schizophrenia: relation to psychopathology
The intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (sICAM-1) and the vascular adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1) are involved in the penetration of lymphocytes through the blood-brain-barrier (BBB). Since a BBB disturbance has been observed in some schizophrenic patients, but also a lack of the CNS/peripheral immune system has been hypothesized to be involved in schizophrenia, we measured the serum levels of soluble ICAM-1 (sICAM-1) and soluble VCAM-1 (sVCAM-1) in unmedicated schizophrenic patients and the relationship to psychopathology. The results show lower levels of sICAM-1 in schizophrenics, but no difference between schizophrenics and controls regarding the sVCAM-1 levels. Patients with more pronounced negative symptoms showed higher levels of sICAM-1 and lower levels of sVCAM-1. These results point out that the ICAM-1 related adhesion system is involved in schizophrenia, while the VCAM-1 system plays a minor role. The regulatory process of antigen recognition and cellular immune activation and/or the regulation of the BBB is impaired at least in a subgroup of schizophrenic patients.
KeywordsSchizophrenic Patient Soluble Adhesion Molecule Cerebral Endothelial Cell Peripheral Immune System Bioi Psychiatry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gallien M, Schnetzler JP, Morin J (1977) Antinuclear antibodies and lupus cells in 600 hospitalized phenothiazine treated patients. Ann Med Psychol Med 1: 237–248Google Scholar
- Hampel H, Schwarz M, Kötter HU, Schneider C, Müller N (1996) Cell adhesion molecules in the central nervous system. Drug News Perspect 9: 69–81Google Scholar
- Kuhlmann P, Moy VT, Lollo BA, Brian AA (1991) The accessory function of murine intercellular adhesion molecule-1 in T-lymphocyte activation: contribution of adhesion and co-activation. J Immunol 146: 1773–1782Google Scholar
- Schwarz MJ (1998) Die Bedeutung von Autoantikörpern gegen 60kD und 70 kD Hitzeschock-Proteine für die Pathogenese schizophrener Erkrankungen. Thesis, University of MunichGoogle Scholar
- Schwarz MJ, Ackenheil M, Riedel M, Müller N (1999) Soluble intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) receptor levels are decreased in unmedicated and medicated schizophrenic patients. Biol Psychiatry (submitted)Google Scholar