The RBF Neural Network in Approximate Dynamic Programming
A radial basis function (RBF) neural network was applied to an optimal control problem. The role of an approximation architecture in the task of dynamic programming is emphasised. While it has been proved that dynamic programming works well for moderate discrete spaces, research is continuing on how to apply dynamic programming techniques to large discrete and continuous spaces. For continuous spaces there does not yet exist a universal approach, but it seems that a RBF network is able to solve the problem with a negligible amount of manual experimentation.
KeywordsRadial Basis Function Optimal Control Problem Reinforcement Learn Hide Neuron Radial Basis Function Neural Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Sutton, R.S.: Learning to predict by the methods of temporal differences. Machine Learning Vol. 3(1), pp. 9–44 (1988).Google Scholar
- Barto, A.G.: Reinforcement Learning and Adaptive Critic Methods. In Handbook of Intelligent Control: Neural, Fuzzy, and Adaptive Approaches. D. A. White and D. A. Sofge (Eds.). New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, pp. 469–491 (1992).Google Scholar
- Kaelbling, L.P., Littman, M.L., and Moore, A.W.: Reinforcement Learning: A Survey, Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research Vol. 4 (1996).Google Scholar
- Moody J. and Darken C.J.: Fast Learning in Networks of Locally Tuned Processing Units. Neural Computation 1 pp. 281–294 (1989).Google Scholar
- Haykin, S.: Neural Networks. Macmillan College Publishing Company (1994).Google Scholar
- Boyan, J.A., and Moore, A.W.: Generalization in Reinforcement Learning: Safely Approximating the Value Function, in G. Tesauro, D.S. Touretzky and T.K. Leen, eds., Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 7, MIT Press, Cambridge MA (1995).Google Scholar
- Bradtke, S.: Incremental Dynamic Programming for On-line Adaptive Optimal Control. PhD Thesis. University of Massachusetts, Amherst (1994).Google Scholar
- Urbancic, T.: PhD Thesis, University of Ljubljana (1994).Google Scholar