Evolvable Hardware Chips for Neural Network Applications
This paper introduces two Evolvable Hardware LSIs for neural network applications. They are developed as part of MITI’s Real World Computing Project. One is self-reconfigurable neural network chip for ontogenic neural network processing, having the processing capability equivalent to 10 Pentium II chips. The other LSI is for the pattern recognition for myoelectric artificial hand control.
KeywordsNeural Network Genetic Algorithm Node Function Uniform Crossover Hide Layer Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D.E. Goldberg, “Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning”, Addison-Wesley, 1989.Google Scholar
- E. Fiesler “Comparative bibliography of onto-genic neural networks”, Proc. of Intl. Conf. on Artificial Neural Networks, 793–796, Springer Verlag, 1994.Google Scholar
- H. Sakanashi, M. Salami, M. Iwata, S. Nakaya, T. Yamauchi, T. Inuo, N. Kajihara, and T. Higuchi “Evolvable Hardware Chip for High Precision Printer Image Compression”, The 15th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-98), Madison, Wisconsin, July, 26–30, 1998.Google Scholar
- X. Yao and T. Higuchi “Promises and Challenges of Evolvable Hardware”, IEEE Trans, on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 1998.Google Scholar
- T. Higuchi, M. Iwata, and W. Liu (editors), Proc. of First International Conference on Evolvable Systems, Lecture Notes on Computer Science, 1259, Springer Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- M. Murakawa, S. Yoshizawa, I. Kajitani, and T. Higuchi “Evolvable hardware for Generalized Neural Networks”, Proc. of the Fifteenth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-97), pp.1146–1151, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1997.Google Scholar
- M. Murakawa, T. Yoshizawa, T. Adachi, S. Suzuki, K. Takasuka, D. Keymeulen, and T. Higuchi, Analogue EHW chip for Intermediate Frequency Filter, International Conference on Evolvable Systems, Sep. 1998.Google Scholar
- M. Iwata, I. Kajitani, H. Yamada, H. Iba and T. Higuchi, A Pattern Recognition System Using Evolvable Hardware, Proc. of Parallel Problem Solving from Nature (PPSN IV), Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1141, pp76–770, Springer Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- I. Kajitani, T. Hoshino, D. Nishikawa, H. Yokoi, S. Nakaya, T. Yamauchi, T. Inuo, N. Kajihara, M. Iwata, D. Keymeulen, and T. Higuchi, A gate-level EHW chip: Implementing GA operations and reconfigurable hardware on a single LSI, International Conference on Evolvable Systems, Sep. 1998.Google Scholar
- D. Keymeulen, M. Iwata, Y. Kuniyoshi and T. Higuchi, “Comparison between an Off-line Model-free and an On-line Model-based Evolution applied to a Robotics Navigation System using Evolvable Hardware”. In Artificial Life VI: Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Artificial Life, C. Adami, R. K. Belew, H. Kitano and C.E. Taylor, eds.. MIT Press 1998.Google Scholar