Using Smoothing Splines in Time Series Prediction with Neural Networks
The smoothing spline based neural network is used for prediction of a trend from complex and noisy time series. First, the time series is smoothed by a cubic spline and then multilayered feedforward neural networks are applied to predict the parameters of the spline and by this the next values of the smoothed time series. The level of smoothing can be chosen by the smoothing parameter. We show that in the case of a complex time series like the bike tire sale, prediction of a trend with the smoothing spline based neural network gives us more reliable information than a classical prediction with the multilayered feedforward neural network.
KeywordsNeural Network Time Series Smoothing Parameter Thick Solid Line Thin Solid Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Guarnieri, S., Piazza, F., Uncini, A.: Multilayered Neural Networks with Adaptive Spline-based Activation Functions, Proceeding of the 1995 World Congress on Neural Networks, 1 (1995).Google Scholar
- Harris, C. J., Moore, C. G., Brown, M.: Intelligent Control. Aspects of Fuzzy Logic and Neural Networks. World Scientific, 1994.Google Scholar
- Masters, T.: Neural, Novel and Hybrid Algorithms for Time Series Prediction, John Wiley & Sons, 1995.Google Scholar
- Haykin, S.: Neural Networks, A Comprehensive Foundation. Macmillan College, New York, 1994.Google Scholar
- Farin, G.: Curves and Surfaces for Computer Aided Geometric Design. Third Edition, Academic, San Diego, 1993.Google Scholar
- Lotric, U.: Time Series Prediction with Smoothing Spline Based Neural Network. Masters Thesis, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, 1997.Google Scholar
- Lotric, U., Dobnikar, A.: Functional Neural Gas Network versus Smoothing Spline Based Neural Network. International ICSC Symposium, Engineering of Intelligent Systems, Tenerife, ICSC Academic Press, 132–135 (1998).Google Scholar