Combinatorial Optimisation Based Decision Support System for Trip Planning
This paper investigates how Combinatorial Optimisation — a very active branch of Operations Research — can be used to set up a Decision Support System for trip planning. Consecutive alterations of the well-known Travelling Salesman Problem (T.S.P.) led to define a model which is more appropriate for that purpose and which was thus called “Trip Planning Problem” (T.P.P.). This brand-new approach for designing trip planning Decision Support Systems algorithms takes advantage of the specificities of computers, rather than expecting them to simulate human brain activity.
KeywordsDecision Support System Travelling Salesman Problem Combinatorial Optimisation Problem Trip Planning Tourism Product
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aarts, E.H.L., Lenstra, J.K., “Introduction”, in Aarts E., Lenstra J.K. (eds.), “Local Search in Combinatorial Optimization”, John Wiley & Sons, United Kingdom (1997), pp. 1–17.Google Scholar
- 2.Bennett, M., Radburn, M., “Information Technology in Tourism: The Impact on the Industry and Supply of Holidays”, in Sinclair, M.T., Stabler, M.J. (eds.), “The Tourism Industry, An International Analysis”, C.A.B. International, United Kingdom (1991), pp. 45–65.Google Scholar
- 4.Halatsis, C., Stamatopoulos, P., Karali, I, Mourlas, C., Gouscos, D., Margaritis, D., Fouskakis, C., Kolokouris, A., Xinos, P., Reeve, M., Véron, A., Schuerman, K., Li, L.L., “MaTourA: Multi-Agent Tourist Advisor”, in “International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism, Innsbrück, 1994” proceedings, Springer-Verlag, Austria (1994), pp. 140–147.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Ng, F.Y.Y., Sussmann, S., “A Personal Travel Assistant for Holiday Selection — A Learning Interface Agent Approach”, in “International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism, Innsbrück, 1996” proceedings, Springer-Verlag, Austria (1996), pp. 3–10.Google Scholar
- 12.First announcement of the Enter 99 conference, Innsbrück, Austria, January 20-22, 1999.Google Scholar