Holiday Packages on the Web
The tourism industry has reported dramatic changes in its structure over the last few years, not least due to the emerge of the Internet. Among others, tourists want to find products which are tailored to their personal needs in a minimum of time, without having to navigate through all the products offered by the tourism information system. Thus, from the tourism information supplier’s point of view, one major requirement for effective tourism information systems is to support both, the production and distribution of individually tailored holiday packages. This paper focuses on the holiday package facility as realized in TIScover [TISc98a], the largest Austrian Web-based tourism information system. In TIScover, holiday packages can not only be assembled and maintained directly by tourism information suppliers but also easily retrieved, further customized and finally booked online by the tourist.
KeywordsSimple Product Result List Tourism Product Tourism Information Destination Information
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bloc96]M. Bloch, Y. Pigneur,, T. Steiner, The IT-enabled Extended Enterprise, Applications in the Tourism Industry, Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism (ENTER’96), Springer, Innsbruck, Austria, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Expe98]Homepage of Expedia, http://www.expedia.com, Microsoft, 1998.
- [Fowl97]M. Fowler, UML Distilled, Addison Wesley, 1997.Google Scholar
- [Kapp96]G. Kappel, S. Rausch-Schott, W. Retschitzegger, M. Sakkinen, A Transaction Model For Handling Composite Events, Proc. of the 3rd Int. Workshop of the ACM SIGMOD Chapter on Advances in Databases and Information Systems (ADBIS’96), Moscow, Sept. 1996.Google Scholar
- [Pass97]C. Passmann, W. Pipperger, W. Schertler, How to assess WWW-applications for tourism information systems from the end-user perspective. Methodical design and empirical evidence, Proc. of the International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism (ENTER’98), A Min Tjoa (ed.) Springer, Istanbul, Turkey, 1997.Google Scholar
- [Proe98a]B. Pröli, W. Retschitzegger, R.R. Wagner, A. Ebner, Beyond Traditional Tourism Information Systems — TIScover, Journal of Information Technology in Tourism, 1998.Google Scholar
- [Proe98b]B. Pröli, P. Kroiss, W. Retschitzegger, R.R. Wagner, Online Booking on the Net-Problems, Issues and Solutions, Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism (ENTER’ 98), D. Buhalis et al. (eds.), Springer, Istanbul, 1998.Google Scholar
- [Proe98c]B. Pröli, W. Retschitzegger, R.R. Wagner, TIScover — A Tourism Information System Based on Extranet and Intranet Technology, Proceeding of the Fourth Americas Conference on Information Systems (AIS’98), Baltimore, Maryland, 1998.Google Scholar
- [TISc98a]Homepage of TIScover, http://www.tiscover.com, TIS Innsbruck, FAW Hagenberg, 1998.
- [TISc98b]Homepage of TIScover ASIA, http://www.tiscoverasia.com, GoThailand, 1998.
- [TISc98c]Homepage of TIScover, http://www.deutschlandreise.de, START Media Plus, 1998.
- [Trla98]Homepage of Travelland, http://www.travelland.com, 1998.
- [Trlo98]Homepage of Travelocity, http://www.travelocity.com SABRE, 1998.