A Unified Approach to Prefiltered Environment Maps
Different methods for prefiltered environment maps have been proposed, each of which has different advantages and disadvantages. We present a general notation for prefiltered environment maps, which will be used to classify and compare the existing methods. Based on that knowledge we develop three new algorithms: 1. A fast hierarchical prefiltering method that can be utilized for all previously proposed prefiltered environment maps. 2. A technique for hardware-accelerated prefiltering of environment maps that achieves interactive rates even on low-end workstations. 3. Anisotropic environment maps using the Banks model.
KeywordsFilter Size Interactive Rate Graphic Hardware Target Pixel Filter Radius
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Banks, D. Illumination in Diverse Codimensions. In Proceedings SIGGRAPH (July 1994), pp. 327–334.Google Scholar
- 5.Cabral, B., Olano, M., and Nemec, P. Reflection Space Image Based Rendering. In Proceedings SIGGRAPH (August 1999), pp. 165–170.Google Scholar
- 7.Greene, N. Applications of World Projections. In Proceedings Graphics Interface (May 1986), pp. 108–114.Google Scholar
- 8.Greene, N. Environment Mapping and Other Applications of World Projections. IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications 6, 11 (November 1986), 21–29.Google Scholar
- 9.Heidrich, W., and Seidel, H. Realistic, Hardware-accelerated Shading and Lighting. In Proceedings SIGGRAPH (Aug. 1999), pp. 171–178.Google Scholar
- 11.Kautz, J., and McCool, M. Approximation of Glossy Reflection with Prefiltered Environment Maps. In Proceedings Graphics Interface (May 2000), pp. 119–126.Google Scholar
- 12.Kirk, D., and Arvo, J. Unbiased Sampling Techniques for Image Synthesis. In Proceedings SIGGRAPH (July 1991), pp. 153–156.Google Scholar
- 13.Lischinski, D., and Rappoport, A. Image-Based Rendering for Non-Diffuse Synthetic Scenes. In Nineth Eurographics Workshop on Rendering (June 1998), Eurographics, pp. 301–314.Google Scholar
- 14.Miller, G., and Hoffman, R. Illumination and Reflection Maps: Simulated Objects in Simulated and Real Environments. In SIGGRAPH ’84 Course Notes — Advanced Computer Graphics Animation (July 1984).Google Scholar
- 15.Miller, G., Rubin, S., and Ponceleon, D. Lazy Decompression of Surface Light Fields for Precomputed Global Illumination. In Nineth Eurographics Workshop on Rendering (June 1998), Eurographics, pp. 281–292.Google Scholar
- 16.Nayar, S. Catadioptric Omnidirectional Camera. In Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (june 1997).Google Scholar
- 17.Neider, J., Davis, T., and Woo, M. OpenGL — Programming Guide. Addison-Wesley, 1993.Google Scholar
- 19.SGI. Iris performer, http://www.sgi.com/software/performer/brew/envmap.html.
- 20.Stürzlinger, W., and Bastos, R. Interactive Rendering of Globally Illuminated Glossy Scenes. In Eighth Eurographics Workshop on Rendering (June 1997), Eurographics, pp. 93–102.Google Scholar