We present wavelet warping — a new class of forward 3D warping algorithms for image-based rendering. In wavelet warping most of the warping operation is performed in the wavelet domain, by operating on the coefficients of the wavelet transforms of the images and other matrices defined by the mapping. Operating in this fashion is often more efficient than performing the 3D warp in the standard manner. Perhaps more importantly, operating in the wavelet domain allows one to perform the 3D warping operation progressively and to generate target views at multiple resolutions. We describe wavelet warping of planar, cylindrical, and spherical reference images and demonstrate that the resulting algorithms compare favorably to their standard counterparts. We also discuss and demonstrate utilization of temporal coherence when wavelet-warping image sequences.
KeywordsDiscrete Cosine Transform Reference Image Wavelet Coefficient Target Image Temporal Coherence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.S. E. Chen. Quick Time VR — an image-based approach to virtual environment navigation. In Computer Graphics Proceedings, Annual Conference Series (Proc. SIGGRAPH ’95), pages 29–38, 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.S. E. Chen and L. Williams. View interpolation for image synthesis. In Computer Graphics Proceedings, Annual Conference Series (Proc. SIGGRAPH ’93), pages 279–288, 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.W. J. Dally, L. McMillan, G. Bishop, and H. Fuchs. The delta tree: An object-centered approach to image-based rendering. MIT AI Lab Technical Memo 1604, MIT, May 1996.Google Scholar
- 8.I. Drori. Image operations in the wavelet domain. Master’s thesis, School of Computer Science and Engineering, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel, Jan. 2000.Google Scholar
- 9.Internet Pictures Corporation (iPIX). http://www.ipix.com.Google Scholar
- 11.W. R. Mark, L. McMillan, and G. Bishop. Post-rendering 3D warping. In Proceedings of the 1997 Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics. ACM SIGGRAPH, Apr. 1997.Google Scholar
- 12.L. McMillan. An Image-Based Approach to Three-Dimensional Computer Graphics. PhD thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 1997.Google Scholar
- 13.L. McMillan and G. Bishop. Plenoptic modeling: An image-based rendering system. In Computer Graphics Proceedings, Annual Conference Series (Proc. SIGGRAPH ’95), pages 39–46, 1995.Google Scholar
- 14.J. W. Shade, S. J. Gortler, L. He, and R. Szeliski. Layered depth images. In M. Cohen, editor, Computer Graphics Proceedings, Annual Conference Series (Proc. SIGGRAPH ’98), pages 231–242, July 1998.Google Scholar
- 17.E. J. Stollnitz, T. D. DeRose, and D. H. Salesin. Wavelets for Computer Graphics: Theory and Applications. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc., San Francisco, CA, 1996.Google Scholar
- 19.3DV Systems. http://www.3dvsystems.com.Google Scholar