The molecular mechanism of dopamine-induced apoptosis: identification and characterization of genes that mediate dopamine toxicity
Parkinson’s disease (PD) is a progressive neurological disorder caused by rather selective degeneration of the dopaminergic (DA) neurons in the substantia nigra. Though subject to intensive research, the etiology of this nigral neuronal loss is still enigmatic and treatment is basically symptomatic. The current major hypothesis suggests that nigral neuronal death in PD is due to excessive oxidative stress generated by auto-and enzymatic oxidation of the endogenous neurotransmitter dopamine (DA), the formation of neuromelanin and presence of high concentrations of iron.
KeywordsNorthern Blot Analysis Multiple System Atrophy Differential Display Sympathetic Neuron Cerebellar Granule Neuron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cohen G (1985) Oxidative stress in the nervous system. In: Sies H (ed) Oxidative stress. Academic Press, London, pp 383–401Google Scholar
- Fonstedt B (1990) Role of catechol autoxidation in the degeneration of dopamine neurons. Acta Neurol Scand 129: 12–14Google Scholar
- Javitch JA, D’Amato RJ, Strittmatter SM, Snyder SH (1985) Parkinsonism-inducing neurotoxin, N-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine: uptake of the metabolite N-methyl-4-phenylpyridine by dopamine neurons explains selective toxicity. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 82: 2173–2177PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jenner P (1991) Oxidative stress as a cause of Parkinson’s disease. Acta Neurol Scand 136 Suppl: 6–15Google Scholar
- Massenaro JM, Gong L, Kuage H, Baker I, Wyatt RJ (1996) Dopamine induces apoptotic cell death of cathecolaninergic cell line derived from the central nervous system. Mol Pharmacol 50: 1309–1315Google Scholar
- Minakuchi K, Yabushita T, Masumura T, Ichihara K, Tanaka K (1994) Cloning and sequence analysis of a cDNA encoding rice glutaredoxin. FEBS Lett 337: 157–160 Mochizuki H, Mori H, Mizuno Y (1997) Apoptosis in neurodegenerative disorders. J Neural Transm Suppl 50: 157–160Google Scholar
- Offen D (1999) Personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- Tanaka M, Sotomatsu A, Kanai H, Hirai S (1991) DOPA and dopamine cause cultured neuronal death in the presence of iron. J Neurochem 101: 198–203Google Scholar
- Tatton NA, Maclean-Fraser A, Tatton WG, Perl DP, Olanow CW (1998) A fluorescent double-labeling method to detect and confirm apoptotic nuclei in parkinson’s disease. Ann Neurol 44(3) Suppl 1: S142–148Google Scholar
- Youdim MBH, Ben-Shachar D, Riederer P (1993b) Iron melanin interaction and Parkinson’s disease. Trends Pharmacol Sci 8: 45–49Google Scholar
- Zilkha-Falb R, Barzilai A, Djaldeti R, Ziv I, Machlin T, Melamed E, Shirvan A (2000) Involvement of T-complex Protein-1 (TCP-1) in dopamine triggered neuronal apoptosis in chick embryo sympathetic neurons. SubmittedGoogle Scholar