Inverse Scattering in Anisotropic Media
We consider the inverse problem of determining a Riemannian metric in R n which is euclidean outside a ball from scattering information. This is a basic inverse scattering problem in anisotropic media. By looking at the wave front set of the scattering operator we are led to consider the “classical” problem of determining a Riemannian metric by measuring the travel times of geodesics passing through the domain. We survey some recent developments on this problem.
KeywordsInverse Problem Riemannian Manifold Anisotropic Medium Energy Inequality Integral Geometry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [A]L. Ahlfors, Quasiconformal mappings, Van Nostrand, 1966.Google Scholar
- [C-S]K. Chadan AND P. Sabatier, Inverse problems in Quantum scattering theory, Springer-Verlag, 1989.Google Scholar
- [C-D-S]C. Croke, N. S. Dairbekov AND V. A. Sharafutdinov, Local boundary rigidity of a compact Riemannian manifold with curvature bounded above, to appear, Transactions AMS.Google Scholar
- [E]G. Eskin Inverse scattering problem in anisotropic media, preprint 1998.Google Scholar
- [G-M1]M. Gerber AND V. Markushevich, Determination of a seismic wave velocity from the travel time curve, J. R. Astron. Soc. Geophysics, 11 (1966), 165–173.Google Scholar
- [G-M2]M. Gerber AND V. Markushevich, On the characteristic properties of travel-time curves, J. R. Astron. Soc. Geophysics, 13 (1967), 241–246.Google Scholar
- [L-P]P. Lax AND R. Phillips, Scattering Theory, revised edition, Academic Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Sh]V. A. Sharafutdinov, Integral geometry of tensor fields, VSP, Utrech, the Netherlands (1994).Google Scholar
- [Su-U2]Z. Sun AND G. Uhlmann, Generic uniqueness for determined inverse problems in 2 dimensions, in K. Hayakawa, Y. Iso, M. Mori, T. Nishida, K. Tomoeda, M. Yamamoto (eds.), ICM-90 Satellite Conference Proceedings, Inverse Problems in Engineering Sciences, Springer-Verlag, (1991), 145–152.Google Scholar