Partnership Australia’s National Tourism Data Warehouse: Preliminary Assessment Of A Destination Marketing System
Whilst some of such shortcomings have been addressed during the intervening years by new developments, the Australian situation has been similarly characterised by a multiplicity of websites and/or destination marketing systems displaying information at varying levels of quality, content and format.
“the overall pattern of systems development in the field has been diverse, geographically disparate and generally reactive. This has led to a confused pattern of business objectives, a marked absence of technical, commercial or data definition standards, a plethora of often conflicting developments within individual countries and little evidence of inter-NTO cooperation or even formal discussion on the issue” (Archdale et al: 1992).
KeywordsData Warehouse Tourism Product Destination Market Online Booking Intellectual Property Issue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Archdale, G., Stanton, R.M., and Jones, C.B. (1992) Destination Databases: Issues and Priorities, a paper prepared for the Pacific Asia Travel Association, PATA Intelligence Centre, San Francisco, Harvard Business School Press, Boston.Google Scholar
- Buhalis, D. (1995) Regional Integrated Computer Information Reservation Management Systems and tourism distribution channels. Schertler, W., Schmid, B., Tjoa, A, Werthner, H., (Eds), Information and Communication Technology in Tourism, ENTER’ 95 Springer-Verlag, Wien-New York, pp.53–64.Google Scholar
- Frew, A.J and O’Connor, P. (1999a) Destination Marketing Strategics in Scotland and Ireland: an Approach to Assessment, Information Technology an Tourism Vol 2, #1, pp3–13Google Scholar
- Frew, A.J and O’Connor, P. (1999b) Destination Marketing Refining and Extending an Assessment Framework, Buhalis, D., Schertler, W., (Eds), Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism, ENTER’ 99 Springer-Verlag, Wien-New York, pp.398–407.Google Scholar
- Interim Technologies (1999a) Report #1 Summary of Australian Tourist Commission and State Tourism Organisation Databases, unpublished document prepared for Partnership Australia.Google Scholar
- Interim Technologies (1999b) Report #2 Design Options and Impact, unpublished document prepared for Partnership Australia.Google Scholar
- Partnership Australia (1999a) Position Paper — Partnership Australia National Data Warehouse Project, unpublished document.Google Scholar
- Partnership Australia (1999b) Information Technologies Online Program, unpublished documentGoogle Scholar
- Partnership Australia (1999c) National Tourism Data Warehouse Management and Resource Plan, unpublished document.Google Scholar