Impact of Substrate Resistance on Drain Current Noise in MOSFETs
This paper identifies the physical origin and contribution mechanism of substrate induced channel thermal noise in MOSFETs. Resistance of the substrate generates potential fluctuations that in turn produce additive channel noise via the channel depletion capacitor. The additive noise may result in a frequency dependence of the drain current noise due to a pole associated with the Rsub-Cdepi network. Its bias and length dependencies conforms to those of reported excess noise, it thus may exaggerate the amount of the channel thermal noise factor.
KeywordsGate Oxide Noise Simulation Substrate Network Drain Bias MOSFET Structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. J. Scholten, H. J. Tromp, L. F. Tiemeijer, R. van Langevelde, R. J. Havens, P. W. H. de Vreede, R. F. M. Roes, P. H. Woerlee, A. H. Montree, and D. B. M. Klaassen, “Accurate Thermal Noise Model for Deep-Submicron CMOS,” in Technical Digest of IEDM (International Electron Devices Meeting), Washington, DC, Dec. 1999, pp. 155–158.Google Scholar
- S. V. Kishore, G. Chang, G. Asmanis, C. Hull, and F. Stubbe, “Substrate-Induced High-Frequency Noise in Deep Sub-Micron MOSFETs for RF Applications,” in Proceedings of IEEE CICC (Custom Integrated Circuits Conference), San Diego, CA, May 1999, pp. 365–368.Google Scholar
- J. J. Ou, X. Jin, C. Hu, and P. R. Gray, “Submicron CMOS thermal noise modeling from an RF perspective,” in Proceedings of the Symposium on VLSI Technology, Kyoto, Japan, June 1999, pp. 151–152.Google Scholar
- S. Donati, M. A. Alam, K. S. Krisch, S. Martin, M. R. Pinto, H. H. Vuong, F. Bonani, and G. Ghione, “Physics-Based RF Noise Modeling of Submicron MOSFETs,” in Technical Digest of IEDM (International Electron Devices Meeting), San Francisco, CA, Dec. 1998, pp. 81–84.Google Scholar
- J.-S. Goo, C.-H. Choi, F. Danneville, E. Morifuji, H. S. Momose, Z. Yu, H. Iwai, T. H. Lee, and R. W. Dutton, “An Accurate and Efficient High Frequency Noise Simulation Technique for Deep Submicron MOSFETs,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 2410–2419, Dec. 2000.CrossRefGoogle Scholar