3D Statistical Simulation of Intrinsic Fluctuations in Decanano MOSFETs Introduced by Discrete Dopants, Oxide Thickness Fluctuations and LER
The need for statistical 3D simulations to study intrinsic parameter fluctuations in aggressively scaled MOSFETs introduced by discreteness of charge and atomicity of matter is discussed. We describe a hierarchical implementation of such a 3D `atomistic’ simulation approach, which includes quantum mechanical corrections based on the Density Gradient algorithm. Simulation examples of intrinsic parameter fluctuations associated with random discrete dopants in the active region of the device and in the polysilicon gate, oxide thickness fluctuation within the gate area, and line edge roughness (LER) of the gate are presented. We speculate about the challenges ahead in understanding and accurately simulating the atomistic effects in the next generation of MOSFETs.
KeywordsThreshold Voltage Oxide Thickness Atomistic Simulation Gate Oxide Gate Oxide Thickness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- The International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors, SIA, 1999 EditionGoogle Scholar
- P. A. Packan, Pushing the limits, Science 1999; 285:2079Google Scholar
- T. Mizuno, J. Okamura and A. Toriumi, Experimental study of threshold voltage fluctuation due to statistical variation of channel dopant number in MOSFET’s, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices 1994; 41:2216Google Scholar
- A. Asenov, S. Kaya, Effect of oxide roughness on the threshold voltage fluctuations in decanano MOSFETs with ultrathin gate oxide, Proc. SISPAD 2000, p 135Google Scholar
- C. S Rafferty, B. Biegel, Z. Yu, M. G. Ancona, J. Bude and R. W. Dutton, Multidimensional quantum effects simulation using a density-gradient model and script-level programming technique, in Proc SISPAD 1998, Eds. K. De Meyer and S. Biesemans, p 137Google Scholar
- G. H. Gilmer, L. Palaz, C. Rafferty and M. Jaraiz, Multiscale modeling of the implantation and annealing of silicon devices, in Proc SISPAD 1998, Eds. K. De Meyer and S. Biesemans, p 46Google Scholar
- S. M. Goodnick, D. Ferry, C. W. Wilmsen, Z. Liliental, D. Fathy, and O. L. Krivanek, Surface roughness at the Si(100) - Si02 interface, Phys. Rev. 1985; B32: 8171Google Scholar