Evolving Order Statistics Filters for Image Enhancement
This paper describes an effective method for performing both image denoising and contrast/brightness enhancement to images corrupted with a wide category of noise. The method employs a Real-Coded Genetic Algorithm with subjective fitness and a novel crossover operator called Gaussian Uniform Crossover. The algorithm evolves the structure of a general Order Statistics Filter (OSF). Results are presented that indicate the efficiency of the method proposed as compared to classical filtering methods.
KeywordsMedian Filter Image Enhancement Image Denoising Speckle Noise Pepper Noise
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Herdy, M.: Evolutionary Optimization based on Subjective Selection. Proc. of EUFIT’97 1, 640 (1997).Google Scholar
- Kita, H., Ono, I., Kobayashi, S.: Theoretical Analysis of the UNDX for Real-Coded GA. Proc. of IEEE ICEC’98 1998, 529.Google Scholar
- Jain, A. K.: Fundamentals of Digital Image Processing, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall 1989.Google Scholar
- Michalewicz, Z.: Genetic Algorithms + Data Structures = Evolution Programs, 3rd ed. Berlin: Springer 1996.Google Scholar
- Munteanu, C., Lazarescu, V.: Evolutionary Contrast Stretching and Detail Enhancement. Proc. of MENDEL’99 1, 94 (1999).Google Scholar
- Pitas, I., Venetsanopoulos, A. N.: Order Statistics in Digital Image Processing. Proc. of the IEEE 80, 1893 (1992).Google Scholar
- Ramponi, G., Strobel, N.: Nonlinear Unsharp Masking Methods for Image Contrast Enhancement. Journal of Electronic Imaging 20, 353 (1996).Google Scholar