The Rendering of Unstructured Grids Revisited
In this paper we propose a technique for resampling scalar fields given on unstructured tetrahedral grids. This technique takes advantage of hardware accelerated polygon rendering and 2D texture mapping and thus avoids any sorting of the tetrahedral elements. Using this technique, we have built a visualization tool that enables us to either resample the data onto arbitrarily sized Cartesian grids, or to directly render the data on a slice-by-slice basis. Since our approach does not rely on any pre-processing of the data, it can be utilized efficiently for the display of time-dependent unstructured grids where geometry as well as topology change over time.
KeywordsUnstructured Grid Graphic Hardware Interior Vertex Volume Visualization IEEE Visualization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Cignoni, C. Montani, D. Sarti, and R. Scopigno. On the optimization of projective volume rendering. In EG Workshop, Scientific Visualization in Scientific Computing, pages 59–71, 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Comba, J. Klosowski, N. Max, J. Mitchell, C. Silva, and P. Williams. Fast polyhedral cell sorting for interactive rendering of unstructured grids. In Computer Graphics Forum (Proc. EUROGRAPHICS’ 99), pages 369–376, 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Kirk. From Multitexture to Register Combiners to Per-Pixel Shading. http://www.nvidia.com/Developer.
- 6.C. Rezk-Salama, K. Engel, M. Bauer, G. Greiner, and Ertl. T. Interactive Volume Rendering on Standard PC Graphics Hardware Using Multi-Textures And Multi-Stage Rasterization. In SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Workshop on Graphics Hardware, pages 109–119, 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Roettger, M. Kraus, and T. Ertl. Hardware-accelerated volume and isosurface rendering based on cell-projection. In Proceedings IEEE Visualization 2000, pages 109–116, 2000.Google Scholar
- 9.C. Silva and J. Mitchell. The Lazy Sweep Ray Casting Algorithm for Rendering Irregular Grids. Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 4(2), June 1997.Google Scholar
- 10.C. Silva, J. Mitchell, and A. Kaufman. Fast Rendering of Irregular Grids. In ACM Symposium on Volume Visualization’ 96, pages 15–23, 1996.Google Scholar
- 11.C. Silva, J. Mitchell, and P. Williams. An exact interactive time visibility ordering algorithm for polyhedral cell complexes. In Proceedings ACM/IEEE Symposium on Volume Visualization 98, pages 87–94, 1998.Google Scholar
- 12.C. Stein, B. Becker, and N. Max. Sorting and hardware assisted rendering for volume visualization. In ACM Symposium on Volume Visualization’ 94, pages 83–90, 1994.Google Scholar
- 13.R. Westermann and T. Ertl. The VSBUFFER: Visibility Ordering unstructured Volume Primitives by Polygon Drawing. In IEEE Visualization’ 97, pages 35–43, 1997.Google Scholar
- 14.R. Westermann and T. Ertl. Efficiently using graphics hardware in volume rendering applications. In ACM Computer Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH’ 98), pages 291–294, 1998.Google Scholar
- 15.J. Wilhelms, A. van Gelder, P. Tarantino, and J. Gibbs. Hierarchical and Parallelizable Direct Volume Rendering for Irregular and Multiple Grids. In IEEE Visualization 1996, pages 57–65, 1996.Google Scholar
- 18.C. Wittenbrink. Cellfast: Interactive unstructured volume rendering. In IEEE Visualization’ 99 Late Breaking Hot Topics, pages 21–24, 1999.Google Scholar
- 19.R. Yagel, D. Reed, A. Law, P. Shih, and N. Shareef. Hardware Assisted Volume Rendering of Unstructured Grids by Incremental Slicing. In ACM Symposium on Volume Visualization’ 96, pages 55–63, 1996.Google Scholar