DDDiver: 3D Interactive Visualization of Entity Relationships
In this paper we present DDDiver, a tool for the interactive visualization and editing of Object-Oriented databases. It was developed to visualize and manipulate large loosely-structured data sets with multiple relation types. This makes the tool especially useful in application areas that involve product data models, design information systems, and semantic networks. DDDiver can visualize such relational data sets in a 3d graph. The layout mechanism used for the graph is not based on a deterministic mathematical algorithm, but on the distinction between a number of relation kinds, and on user interaction. The intuitiveness and quickness of the visualization tool was further improved by adding animated visual feedback effects.
KeywordsSemantic Network Relation Type Large Graph Interactive Visualization Graph Drawing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Card, S.K., Mackinlay, J.D., Scheiderman, B. (eds.): Readings in Information Visualization, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Munzner, T., “Drawing Large Graphs with H3Viewer and Site Manager”, In: Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Graph Drawing GD’98, Montreal, August 1998, Whitesides S. (Ed.), p. 384–393, Springer-Verlag (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Wills, G.J.: “Niche Works—Interactive Visualization of Very Large Graphs”, In: Proceedings of the Symposium on Graph Drawing GD’97, Springer-Verlag (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Herman I., Melancon G., de Ruiter M., Delest, M, “Latour—A Tree Visualization System”, In: Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Graph Drawing GD’99, September 1999, Kratochvil, J. (ed.), p. 392–399, Springer, Berlin (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Graph drawing, GD: yearly international symposium 1992–1999; proceedings as of 1995 by Springer-Verlag, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 6.Eades, P., F. Cohen and M.L. Huang (1997) Online Animated Graph Drawing for Web Navigation. G. Goos, J. Hartmanis and J. van Leeuwen (eds.) 1997. Graph drawing, Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Graph Drawing, GD’97, held in Rome, Italy, Sept. 18–20, 1997. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp. 330-335.Google Scholar
- 7.Graham, J.W. (1997) Niche Works—Interactive Visualization of Very Large Graphs, G. Goos, J. Hartmanis and J. van Leeuwen (eds.) 1997. Graph drawing, Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium, GD’97, held in Rome, Italy, Sept. 18-20, 1997. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp. 403–414.Google Scholar
- 8.Leeuwen, J. van, Modelling architectural Design Information by Features, Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Lieberman H. (1994) Powers of Ten Thousand: Navigating in Large Information Spaces. Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, 1994. p.15–16Google Scholar
- 10.M.K.D. Coomans and H.H. Achten (1998) Mixed Task Domain Representation in VR-DIS. Proceedings of the 3rd Asia-Pacific Conference on Human Computer Interaction, APCHI’98, Shonan village Center, Japan, July 15-17, 1998.Google Scholar
- 11.B. de Vries, “VR-DIS research program”, on the web site of the Design Systems group, http://www.ds.arch/, 1997