Progressive View-Dependent Isosurface Propagation
This paper proposes a new isosurface extraction algorithm that extracts portions of the isosurface in a view-dependent manner by ray casting and propagation. The algorithm casts rays through a volume to find visible active cells as seeds and then propagates their polygonal isosurface into the neighboring cells. Small pieces of the isosurface are generated by distance-limited propagation and joined together to form the final surface. We demonstrate that this progressive algorithm generates an approximate result quickly and refines it to the final correct image over time. In addition, the algorithm scales with the resolution of the display and supports adaptive-resolution visualization.
KeywordsExtremum Graph March Cube Algorithm Distance Angle Isosurface Extraction Contour Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [I]C. L. Bajaj, M. van Kreveld, R. van Oostrum, V. Pascucci, and D. R. Schikore. Contour Trees and Small Seed Sets for Isosurface Traversal. In Proceedings of the 13th Annual ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, pages 212–219, ACM Press, Nice, France, 1997.Google Scholar
- Yi-Jen Chiang, Claudio T. Silva and William J. Schroeder. Interactive Out-Of-Core Isosurface Extraction. In Proceedings of IEEE 1998 Conference on Visualization, 1998, Pages 167–174.Google Scholar
- Satyan Coorg and Seth Teller; Temporally Coherent Conservative Visibility (extended abstract). In Proceedings Of The Twelfth Annual Symposium On Computational Geometry, 1996, Pages 78–87.Google Scholar
- Takayuki Itoh, Yasushi Yamaguchi and Koji Koyamada. Volume thinning for automatic isosurface propagation. In Proceedings Of IEEE 1996 Conference On Visualization, 1996, Page 303–310.Google Scholar
- Kai Li, Han Chen, Yuqun Chen, Douglas W. Clark, Perry Cook, Stefanos Damianakis, Georg Essl, Adam Finkelstein, Thomas Funkhouser, Allison Klein, Zhiyan Liu, Emil Praun, Rudrajit Samanta, Ben Shedd, Jaswinder Pal Singh, George Tzanetakis and Jiannan Zheng. Early Experiences and Challenges in Building and Using A Scalable Display Wall System. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol 20(4), pp 671–680, 2000.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yarden Livnat and Charles Hansen. View Dependent Isosurface Extraction. In Proceedings of IEEE 1998 Conference On Visualization, 1998, Pages 175–180.Google Scholar
- Yarden Livnat and Charles Hansen. On View Dependent Isosurface Extraction for Large Scale Data. Under submission. Google Scholar
- William E. Lorensen and Harvey E. Cline. Marching cubes: A High-Resolution 3D Surface Construction Algorithm. In Proceedings Of The 14th Annual Conference On Computer Graphics, 1987, Pages 163–169.Google Scholar
- Steven Parker, Peter Shirley, Yarden Livnat, Charles Hansen and Peter-Pike Sloan. Interactive Ray Tracing For Isosurface Rendering. In Proceedings Of IEEE 1998 Conference On Visualization, 1998, Pages 233–238.Google Scholar
- Han-Wei Shen. Isosurface Extraction In Time-Varying Fields Using A Temporal Hierarchical Index Tree. In Proceedings Of IEEE 1998 Conference On Visualization, Pages 159–166.Google Scholar