In the early 1970’s, devices like the duocondylar knee were used to treat tibiofemoral arthritis, leaving the patellofemoral joint intact (22). Later that decade, the duopatellar and the total condylar knees (25, 14) replaced the patellofemoral joint as well as the tibiofemoral joint. Initially, these knee replacements were used both with and without patellar resurfacing. However, long-term follow-up of patients who did not receive a patellar replacement found a high incidence of reoperation to replace the patella articulation and relieve pain (15). This finding led to standard tricompartmental total knee arthroplasty.
KeywordsTotal Knee Arthroplasty Femoral Component Total Knee Replacement Mechanical Axis Patellofemoral Joint
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bayley IC, Scott RD, Ewald FC, Holmes GB Jr: Failure of the Metal-Backed Patellar Component After Total Knee Replacement. J Bone Joint Surg 70A:668–674, 1988.Google Scholar
- 3.Barrack RL, Wolfe MW, Waldman DA, Milicic M, Bertot AJ, Myers L: Resurfacing of the Patella in Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg 79A:1121–1131, 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.Figgie HE III, Goldberg VM, Heiple KG, Moller HS III, Gordon NH: The Influence of Tibial-Patellofemoral Location on Function of the Knee in Patients with the Posterior Stabilized Condylar Knee Prosthesis. J Bone Joint Surg 68A:1035–1040, 1986.Google Scholar
- 10.Goodfellow J, Hungerford DS, Zindel M: Patello-femoral Joint Mechanics and Pathology. J Bone Joint Surg 58B:287–290, 1976.Google Scholar
- 12.Huberti HH, Hayes WC: Patellofemoral Contact Pressures: The Influence of Q-Angle and Tendofemoral Contact. J Bone Joint Surg 66A:715–724, 1984.Google Scholar
- 13.Insall J, Falvo KA, Wise DW: Chondromalacia Patellae. J Bone Surg 58A:1–8, 1976.Google Scholar
- 14.Insall J, Ranawat CS, Scott WN, Walker P: Total Condylar Knee Replacement: Preliminary Report. Clin. Orthop. 120:149–154, 1976.Google Scholar
- 15.Insall J, Scott WN, Ranawat CS: The Total Condylar Knee Prosthesis. J Bone Joint Surg 61A:173–180, 1979.Google Scholar
- 16.Insall JN; Lachiewicz PF, Burstein AH: The Posterior Stabilized Condylar Prosthesis. J Bone Joint Surg 64A:13171323, 1982.Google Scholar
- 17.Kaufer H: Mechanical Function of the Patella. J Bone Joint Surg 53A:1551–1560, 1971.Google Scholar
- 25.Scott RD: Duopatellar Total Knee Replacement: The Brigham Experience. Orth. Clin North Am, 13:89–102, 1982.Google Scholar
- 28.Van Kampen A, Huiskes R: The Three-Dimensional Tracking Pattern of the Human Patella J Orthop Res, 8:372–382, 1990.Google Scholar
- 31.Yoshioka Y, Siu D, Cooke TD: The Anatomy and Functional Axes of the Femur. J Bone Joint Surg 69A:873–880, 1987.Google Scholar