Mitochondrial Cristae during Liver Regeneration
Elongated, dumbbell-shaped mitochondria, containing longitudinal stacks of lamellae, have been described in the liver of rats subjected to certain toxic agents, such as ammonium carbonaie or dinitrophenol; their occurrence and particular morphology have been considered to be the expression of degenerative processes, and the intramitochondrial lamellae likened to myelin figures [1, 2]. Dumbbell-shaped or elongated forms of mitochondria, with apparently concentric longitudinal cristae have been observed in rats following administration of thyroxine in excess . Lehninger has pointed out that the latter extended or dumbbell-shaped configurations may be related to mitochondrial growth and division .
KeywordsEndoplasmic Reticulum Liver Regeneration Dense Granule Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum Tangential Section
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- David, H., 1964: Submicroscopic Ortho- and Patho-Morphology of the Liver. Pergamon Press, vol. I and II.Google Scholar
- Greenawalt, J. W., and Foster: quoted by Lehninger (see reference 4).Google Scholar
- Lehninger, A. L., 1964: The Mitochondrion, W. A. Benjamin, Inc., publishers, New York, pp. 37 and 241.Google Scholar
- Higgins, G. M., and R. M. Anderson, 1931: Experimentall Pathology of Liver; Restoration of Liver of White Rats following partial Surgical Removal, Arch. Path. 12, 186–202.Google Scholar
- Drochmans, P., 1950: Etude Cyto-chimique des Variations des Nucléo-protéines Hépatiques au Cours de la Régénération et de l’Autolyse, Arch. Biol. 61, 475–499.Google Scholar
- Claude, A., 1961: Problems of Fixation for Electron Microscopy. Results of Fixation with Osmium Tetroxide in Acid and Alkaline Media, Xe Congrès de Biol. Cellulaire, Paris, Sect, 4–9, 1960;Google Scholar
- Claude, A., 1965: The Morphology and Significance of dumbbell-shaped Mitochondria during Liver Regeneration, J. Cell Biol. 27, 2, 146 A.Google Scholar