The objectives and rationale behind the writing and editing of this book are introduced in this chapter. It is claimed that the complexity of machinery and systems currently under design warrant an approach to multibody system dynamics that integrates two of its building blocks, kinematics and dynamics, which have been traditionally studied separately. Moreover, the design and development of current engineering systems call for integrating multibody dynamics with other disciplines like the thermosciences, electronics, control theory, and computer science, thereby giving rise to what has been termed mechatroni.cs for the last twenty years or so. This integration requires that multibody system dynamics be given an integrated form, in order to ease its interaction with other disciplines.
KeywordsMultibody System Kinematic Chain Nonholonomic System Rear Wheel Multibody Dynamic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Schmitz, T., 1994, ‘Modellbildung und Simulation der Antriebsdynamik von Personenwagen’, Doctoral Dissertation, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Gerhard Mercator University Duisburg, Germany, Fortschritt berichte VDI Reihe 12 Nr. 224, VDI-Verlag, Düsseldorf.Google Scholar
- 2.Becker, M., Hayward, V., Ranjbaran, F., and Angeles, J., 1994, The kinematics of a parallel wrist with actuation redundancy, in Jamshidi, M., Yuh, J., Nguyen, C. C., and Lumia, R. (editors), Proc. Fifth Int. Symp. Robotics and Manufacturing (ISRAM ‘95), TSI Press, august 14–18, Vol. 2, pp. 405–410.Google Scholar
- 3.Wagner S., Schneider, M., Hiller, M., 1994, ‘Nichtlineare Lageregelung eines redundanten Manipulators mit Kollisionsvermeidung durch externe Linearisierung’. Internal Report, Institute of Mechatronics, Gerhard Mercator University Duisburg, Germany.Google Scholar
- 4.Kecskeméthy, A., 1994, ‘A spatial leg mechanism with anthropomorphic properties for ambulatory robots’, in Lenarcic, J. and Ravani, B., Proc. 4th International Workshop on Advances in Robot Kinematics, Ljubljana, pp. 161–170.Google Scholar
- 5.Neimark, Ju. I. and Fufaev, N. A., 1967, Dynamics of Nonholonomic Systems (in Russian), (Translated version in English, 1972), American Mathematical Society, Providence.Google Scholar
- 6.Ranjbaran, F., Angeles, J., González-Palacios, M. A., and Patel, R. V., 1995, ‘The mechanical design of a seven-axes manipulator with kinematic isotropy’, J. Intelligent Systems and Robotics, in press.Google Scholar