Progress in Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos
Like any new scientific discipline, the modern geometrical theory of nonlinear dynamics and chaos has required a galaxy of specialised concepts and terminologies. These can be a major obstacle to applied scientists and engineers wishing to apply the powerful new methods in their own fields. To help overcome this, we provide here an overview of the subject that aims to highlight the central concepts and ideas that will be of particular importance in practical applications. Recent books which the reader may find helpful are those of Guckenheimer & Holmes (1983), Thompson & Stewart (1986), Moon (1987), Arrowsmith & Place (1990) and Abraham & Shaw (1992). Collections of modern applications are edited by Schiehlen (1990), Thompson & Gray (1990), Kim & Stringer (1992), Thompson & Schiehlen (1992) and Mullin (1993).
KeywordsPhase Portrait Chaotic Attractor Homoclinic Orbit Basin Boundary Saddle Connection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abraham, R.H. & Shaw, C.D. (1992) Dynamics: The Geometry of Behaviour, Addison-Wesley, Redwood City.Google Scholar
- Ghrist, R. & Holmes, P. (1993) Knots and orbit genealogies in three dimensional flows. In Bifurcations and Periodic Orbits of Vector Fields, NATO ASI Series, Kluwer Academic Press.Google Scholar
- McRobie, F.A. & Thompson, J.M.T. (1993) Braids and knots in driven oscillators, Int. J. Bifn & Chaos, in press.Google Scholar
- McRobie, F.A. & Thompson, J.M.T. (1994) Criteria for escape phenomena in driven oscillators using Melnikov-like energy estimates, Nonlinear Dynamics, in press.Google Scholar
- Schiehlen, W. (ed) (1990) Nonlinear Dynamics in Engineering Systems, Proc. IUTAM Symposium, Stuttgart, Aug 1989. Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Stewart, H.B. (1987) A chaotic saddle catastrophe in forced oscillators. In Dynamical Systems Approaches to Nonlinear Problems in Systems and Circuits. Salam, F. & Levi, M. (eds.), SIAM, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Thompson, J.M.T. & Gray, P. (eds) (1990) Chaos and Dynamical Complexity in the Physical Sciences, First Theme Issue, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A332, 49–186.Google Scholar
- Thompson, J.M.T. & McRobie, F.A. (1993) Indeterminate bifurcations and the global dynamics of driven oscillators, Plenary lecture, First European Nonlinear Oscillations Conference, Hamburg, Aug 1993. Edited by E. Kreuzer & G. Schmidt, Akademie Verlag, Berlin, 1993. pp 107–128.Google Scholar
- Thompson, J.M.T. & Schiehlen, W. (eds) (1992) Nonlinear Dynamics of Engineering Systems, Theme Issue, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A338, 451–568.Google Scholar
- Thompson, J.M.T., Stewart, H.B. & Ueda, Y. (1993) Safe, explosive and dangerous bifurcations in dissipative dynamical systems, Phys. Rev. (E), in press.Google Scholar