Moment-Rotation Response of Double-Angle Bolted Connections
Moment-rotation curves for double-angle, bolted, gusset plate connections are obtained by eleven full scale tests, using single connection cantilever arrangement. The specimen consisted of two 5 × 3½ × in., A36 steel angles connected to a in. thick gusset plate with 1, 2, 3, or 4 numbers of ¾ in. diameter, A325-N type high strength bolts. Also given are predicted moment rotation curves obtained by regression analysis using a polynomial fit. The influence of connection restraint on elastic stability of double angle columns is then briefly described.
KeywordsCritical Load Steel Fabricator Rotation Curve Steel Construction Connection Type
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AISC, Manual of Steel Construction, 8th Edition, American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago, IL, 1980.Google Scholar
- AISC, Engineering for Steel Construction, American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago, IL, 1980.Google Scholar
- AISC, Manual of Steel Construction: Load and Resistance Factor Design, 1st Edition, Chicago, II, 1986.Google Scholar
- Romenesko, S.: Experimental Results of Moment-Rotation Characteristics of Double-Angle Gusset Plate Connections, M.S. Thesis, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, December 1985.Google Scholar
- SSRC, Testing of Beam-to-Column Connections, Technical Memorandum (Draft), Tank Group 25, Structural Stability Research Council, USA.Google Scholar
- Sommer, W.H.: Behavior of Header Plate Connections, Master’s Thesis, University of Toronto, Ontario, 1969.Google Scholar
- Dixon, W.J., ed., BMDP Statistical Software, University of California, Berkeley, CA, 1983.Google Scholar
- Kavanagh, T.C., Effective Length of Framed Columns, Transactions ASCE, Vol. 127, Part II, 1962.Google Scholar
- Vinnakota, S.: Planar Strength of Restrained Beam-Columns, Journal of the Structural Division, ASCE, Vol. 109, No. ST11, November 1982.Google Scholar
- Vinnakota, S.: Strength of Initially Crooked Double Angle and T-Section Steel Columns, Paper presented at the ASCE Structures Congress III, San Francisco, CA, October 1984.Google Scholar
- Vinnakota, S.: Planar Strength of Restrained Mono-Symmetric Steel Beam-Columns, Proceedings of the Structural Stability Research Council, Cleveland, OH, April 1985.Google Scholar
- ANSYS, Users Manual, Version 4.2b, Swanson Analysis Systems Inc., PA, 1986.Google Scholar